WineXpert Starting a Winexpert Selection Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SG of Must this morning 1.018 at 75 degrees. Added 1-1/2 cups sugar dissolved in 3/4 cup water to must and checked SG at 1.030. Put lid back on fermenter, making a mental note to myself to remember that all things in wine making are not visual and those processes coupled with patience will typically bring about desired results.
smiley20.gif

Waldo,

Is that aditional sugur to get the alcohol level up or to give the port its
sweetness?

Thanks Hippie.I am really trying !! It is quite amazing to me just how much education or increase of knowledge is avaliable in making any particular type of wine. From Chemistry to Botany, Horticulture, Science, History and even a heightened awareness of my own sensory perceptions of tase and smell. It has evolved a lot further than " Im a gonna make me some wine"

According to the instructions Peterit will provide the extra alcohol content needed to achieve a balanced wine for Port. I would not think it adds anything to the sweetness as the mustwill now be fermented below the SG that the extra sugar was added at.Edited by: Waldo

That makes sense.
All the ports (as if I have experience of that many) I havew tasted have been
pretty sweet though. I think that's part of the appeal, balancing the usgar
with the alcohol.

I must confess to only having taken the first step beyond "I'm gonna make
me some wine" to how does it all work, and how do I make it better. It
seems the making of wine is at least as interesting as drinking it.

Checked SG this morning. It was at 1.016 at Must temp of 72 degrees. I stirred must well and racked to carboy and put air lock on it and set it aside for another 10 days. The instructions said not to top it off at thi time so I didn't.

2005-09-29_031706_racking_port_92805.jpg

One of our cats, "Bear" got really curios about what I was up to.

2005-09-29_031737_bear_checks_port.jpg

Why are you letting the hobby horse rack the port?
Surely you'd be more successful if you did it yourself? THe horse can't even
keep the cat away!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: peterCooper

Love the scull and crossbones on the sanitizing solution. I take it you have young visitors from time-to-time?
smiley2.gif

smiley36.gif
Nope, he is not racking Peter, The Hobby Horse is protecting my green coffee beans ( Columbian Supremo) in the burlap sacks. That is another affinity I have is for really good coffee soI began roasting my own beans quit a while back.

Hollow, The Skull and Crossbones are a reminder to the special needs people we work with that the contents are dangerous. They understand that symbol .

Bear is curious about what is going on. The movement of the wine caught his attention. Around Bear, "IF you move, you lose"

Stabalized and cleaned Port this evening at an SG of 1.005. Stabalized with metabisulphite and sorbate provided with kit. Dissolved both in 1/2 cup cold water, added to carboy and stirredabout 3minutes wiith fizz-x, added "f" pack, stirred again then added isiglass provided with kit and stirred another 3 minutes with fizz-x. Absolutely astounding how fast sediment began falling to bottom of carboy. Picture was taken about 45 minutes after the above procedures completed. "Waldo's Port" is in it's final stages
smiley17.gif

2005-10-07_200009_port_stabalised_100705.jpg

Waldo,

Great job on the Port, I think I'd like to try that one.

That's one big cat!!!!!

Archer

Waldo said:
that is another affinity I have is for really good coffee soI began roasting my own beans quit a while back.

Wow! You're right up my alley, strong (good) coffee, grated very finely... Where do you get your beans? The best coffee I've ever, ever had was in Germany. I don't know what they do with it, but it's so darn good when it's freshly ground and freshly brewed.

Mmmm... I'm getting "Coffee-thirst" again!!!!
smiley36.gif

BTW, the port is looking great! Good job!

smiley32.gif

Edited by: MedPretzel

Waldo, The port looks great! If we all meet in April will you be in charge of the good coffee?

Martina, when I lived in Germany I didn't drink coffee, so I guess I lost out. I have found that Canadians make some really good coffee though, if you want to hop the border. I didn't want to get off the Air Canada flight to London a few years ago b/c I was afraid there wouldn't be any good coffee there. I was wrong. So basically, if you want a bad cup of coffee, just drink American!
smiley18.gif
We are getting better at it though. I just wish the local eateries would find some good beans! Must go grind and brew! Keep up the good work, Waldo!

Waldo,

I am interested in roasting my own coffee beans. I just ordered a book about it. I don't have access to a good coffee shop. Any suggestions on suppliers, the best beans, etc would be appreciated. I need to upgrade my grinder too when I can afford it--mine is an old Braun blade grinder I bought years ago.

Your Port looks great. That's the next wine I'm planning to make.

Waldo, did you have any trouble with foam while using the Fizz-X? Anyone else ever have trouble with generating too much foam?

Back