WineXpert Starting a Winexpert Selection Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Finally got my Port started last night with onlyone small hitch. The starting SG of my Must was 1.130 at a temperature of 74 Degrees. Had to let the Must sit for a while to get the starting temp down to 74 from the 82 degrees it was at when I mixed it. Gave me a chance to watch the Razorbacks get their butts kicked by USC though. The "The Hitch": The kit had a packet of oak powder included and the only mention whatsoever of it was that "It may be included in the kit", in the list of ingrediants. I read through the instructions twice and it never says a word about when to add the packet to the must. I know my Shiraz kit instructed to add it at he beginning but this kit is mum on the subject so I will wait until someone can tell me for sure when to add it. Following is picture of Must right after my thorough stirring to mix the juice and water.

2005-09-18_040629_portstarted91705.jpg

Right on the 3 gallon mark..

2005-09-18_040658_portinfermenter91705.jpg

Edited by: Waldo

My primary fermenter does not have a spigot on the bottom.
Can I add one afterwards or do I buy a new primary (and then have two!)?

I'd be guessing on the oak chips but surely they have to get added at the
beginning. After racking isn't it too late?

Yes Peter, you can add the spigot. George can send you one.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5502

You will need to drill a hole ( about 1" daimeter) in your fermenter to install it. I have found that a step bit works best to give you the best fit.

2005-09-18_055329_986726941.jpg

I too thinkthe oak probablyshould have been added at the onset but I have also learned as a "Newbie" that to assume can be disastrous.

Go ahead and add the oak now in the primary as it would follow the normal Winexpert procedures.

You are right the instructions do not specify when to add them....I would file a complaint!
smiley36.gif

The oak definitely is added at the beginning. Just gently stir it into the wine (the vigorous stirring was to mix the concentrate and water--not needed for the oak).

One thing I'd like to mention about the port. Be very careful when chaptalizing (adding sugar) according to instructions. Do this in the primary fermentor. The fermentation will stick if the sugar addition is not done slowly. Be sure that the sugar syrup has sat beside the fermentor for an hour before adding it so that there is no temperature change.

Peter,

The spigot is for bottling. It has nothing to do with fermentation. If you want to use one bucket for primary fermentation and bottling you can add the spigot. or you can use a siphon hose to bottle (clamping to stop the flow as needed) or you can get a buon vino gravitybottle filler (I have this and love it). If you do use a spigot make sure it gets cleaned and sanitized each time (best to take it apart--there are small spaces in there hard to get to).

I also use my fermenter with a spigot for racking. I will rack from my carboy back to the fermenter and then attach a hose to the spigot and refill my carboy after I have cleaned and sanitized it Works great

Would you do that during stabilization? For instance after a week of clearing
taking it off the lees and the back again to finish clearing leaving less lees to
work around?

Or is it something you do after it has finished clearing so that you can bulk
age without it sitting too long on the lees.

And do you then top up again with water or wine?

You really need another 6 gallon carboy to keep from racking back and forth to the bucket so much. You put the stabilizers and finings in the clean and sanitized carboy, rack into it, stir to degas, top up and airlock.

I also use the spigot on the bucket for racking to glass. When doing a kit, stir the muck up off the bottom first so that all the bentonite gets transferred.

For most kits I only rack the wine twice:
<UL>
<LI>From the primary bucket to secondary carboy using spigot and hose</LI>
<LI>after clearing is complete and it is time to bottle I rack into another empty carboy </LI>[/list]

I then bottle my perfectly clear wine!

I seem to be asking a lot of questions but...
smiley17.gif

How do you get all the must or wine without any of the lees?
With my VR Chianti I just poured the stuff that I couldn't siphon clear into a
1.5 liter bottle as is, lees and all, thinking it would make a good top up.
The lees have settled. Should I move the wine off the lees. I saw somewhere
that I would want to leave it too long like that.

I use an autosiphon that has a sediment tip on the end. It allows you to siphon off the clear wine and if you are careful not suck up any of the lees. The small amount of wine left behind from racking with the lees I regard as waste and discard it. It is tough to pour wine out of any bottle and not disturb the lees on the bottom.

This is why Ionly racktwice and only need to top off once after the fermentation is complete and I add the finings, sulfite and sorbate if needed. With this top off I use water since it is a small amount. Any addition racking without going straight to bottling I would use wine to top off.

I have left wine on the lees in the secondary for over two months with no ill effects.

smiley5.gif
I stirred the oak powder in this morning and this evening there is no sign of fermentation at all.

The SG is at 1.100 at a Must temperature of 76 DegreesEdited by: Waldo

Get in the habit of using the hydrometer to determine fermentation activity. The active phase of fermentation can happen extremely fast (12-24 hours). As a result, a visual examination will not provide any information. For the record, I never check the S.G. until day 6 or 7. These kits are really quite foolproof and will make good wine, if left alone.

George. I checked it and The SG is at 1.100 at a Must temperature of 76 Degrees

It's coming down. I would leave it alone until day 5. On that day, check the S.G. again and if it less than 1.02, start adding the sugar.

Will do George.......THANKS

smiley9.gif
Gotta get my arse outa that "panic" mode....be
smiley16.gif
and try to rationalize what is going on and why

masta said:
I have left wine on the lees in the secondary for over two
months with no ill effects.

I have yet to leave anything that long. That's what being a newbie is all
about.Thanks Masta for the tips. It really helps to have people who know
what they're doing sharing the craft.

Checked SG this morning. It is at 1.040 at a must temp of 75 degrees. Not a very good picture but best I could get right now. Gotta learn to do closeups with my digital.

2005-09-22_032738_port.jpg

Back