Cellar Craft Started: CC Showcase WA Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepherdQ

Pusser Newbie
Reaction score
Hi folks,

After 3.5 months away for work, I was very excited to start this kit, which I bought just before finding out I had to go away! Luckily our basement is fairly chilly, so I want worried about it sitting there.

I asked around, some folks on here said this one was fairly good, and I'm glad: I'm trying to buy kits from the West Coast and BC, to reduce the carbon footprint of my hobby a bit.

Anyway, if any of you remember my previous posts you'll know that I learn by making at least one mistake each time, almost like clockwork... all for you, fellow newbies. This time I poured the package of bentonite out, THEN added water. Instead of dissolving it just turned back into clay. That was "fun" to fix, but didn't take too long. No other hiccups, starting SG of 1.08.

Going to use the Winemaker Mag extended method suggested by Tony(?) - 5 days in primary, 15 in secondary, 20 until stabilizing/clearing, another 50 until bottling. This will be handy, since I have to go away again at the end of September for 10 weeks, so I'll be forced to start bulk aging.

Looking forward to this one, good to be back!

Racked to secondary, added (pectic?) enzyme pack as per kit instructions. SG 1.002, so obviously not done fermenting, but like I said I'm following (sort of) the modified schedule proposed by Tim of winemakermag.com.

Hmm, empty primary... What next?!

I'll be following this thread. I've got an RJS winery series Washington Merlot bulk aging. Be fun to hear how your CC wine turns out. Did your CC kit include a grape pack?

It sure did, and unfortunately I was out of town for three days, so I didn't get to squeeze the grape skins as much as I'd like.

It sure did, and unfortunately I was out of town for three days, so I didn't get to squeeze the grape skins as much as I'd like.

My instructions said to punch or push the pack down once a day until SG reached 1.040. Called RJS customer support (great folks by the way) to ask what to do because pack wasn't sinking after the first day. They told me to squeeze it instead and if it floats not to worry. Squeezing was fun. Felt making this kit was more hands on... pun intended. :D

This was/is my first grape pack kit wine, I liked the way I didn't have to top off very much when going into carboy after "secondary".

Good luck with your Merlot...

Last edited:
I did my 1st grape pack earlier this year. Just sanitize your hands and have fun:h

I made this very same WA Merlot kit last year. Started in late October, aged eight months in the carboy, then bottled. It came out perfect. I'll drink it occasionally over the next year or so, noting it's improvement with time in the bottle. I will definately make it again. Great flavor, very smooth. You'll love it!

Thanks Dave, good to hear form someone who's done the same kit.

And bkisel, I've also noticed that with wet wine skins there's much less ullage in the secondary. I bet adding them to a kit that didn't come with them would improve it significantly, increasing the TDS.

Thanks Dave, good to hear form someone who's done the same kit.

And bkisel, I've also noticed that with wet wine skins there's much less ullage in the secondary. I bet adding them to a kit that didn't come with them would improve it significantly, increasing the TDS.

I'm not cheap but I am frugal... Would it be possible to use the pack a second time around? Maybe be able to, lets say, turn a $75.00 RJS VdV kit into nearly a $125.00 RJS Winery Series kit? Could the pack be frozen without risk of spoilage or would you have to start the less expensive kit as soon as your done with the pack from the higher end grape pack kit?

Thanks...

I'm not cheap but I am frugal... Would it be possible to use the pack a second time around? Maybe be able to, lets say, turn a $75.00 RJS VdV kit into nearly a $125.00 RJS Winery Series kit? Could the pack be frozen without risk of spoilage or would you have to start the less expensive kit as soon as your done with the pack from the higher end grape pack kit?

Thanks...

You can safely freeze it. Just bare in mind that most of the "goodies" in the grape pack were used up the first time around. Maybe a little of the goodies left, so won't hurt, just won't make a $75 into a $125 one.

Had to go away for work for a week, meaning I only racked it off the fine lees and stabilized yesterday. Final SG 0.992. Topped off with 1.25 L of whatever red was on sale at the liquor store (cab sauv in this case). I'll be traveling til December, so this will have lits of time to age in the carboy before I bottle ( I usually bottle a bit too early, just too keen to have at it).

That's it for now, I'll let you know how it tastes at bottling!

Cheers,
Rob

That should be perfect, Rob. Be careful in your travels. Your wine will be waiting for you when you get home. :dg

Back