Started a Strawberry wine - concerns

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpio

Junior
Reaction score
First batch.........

I started a strawberry wine (1 gallon) using frozen strawberries

I mashed most of the juice and kept the pulb in the bag. Because I used frozen starwberries and they were not totally thawed, when I finished the water temp is now 63 degrees after addiding the 7 pts. of water

It states add all ingredients now and wait 24 hours before adding yeast.

How do I raise the water temp so the yeast will be effective or is that necessary and do I just add yeast.

Thanks for the help

Hey, awesome. I just started my very first batch of Strawberry from frozen strawberries today too.

I'm sure in 24 hours the temp will be close to ambient, so you shouldn't need to worry.

I also mashed my strawberries up with my hands. I also blended in two very ripe bananas too. It smells so good, I almost just added a little vodka and had a mixed drink! :)

You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes....

Thanks for the reply. I'll definately update my progress as I'm a real newbie.

Is it necessary to take a hydrometer reading before adding yeast as a starting point?

Again thanks

You should so that you know if it is high enough to withstain time in a
bottle and so you will know its ABV when done. And if you have any
problems someone can figure out whats wrong!

I've used the sink to sit the primary in, then run hot water around it to warm it up to rise the temp. Once it gets going the fermation will provide it's own heat.

Scorpio,

Yeah, I always check the sugar level. I just checked mine and put the yeast in (I didn't want to wait 24 hrs). My sugar level is 25 brix (approx 1.10S.G.).

Also, I just set my wine by a heater vent when I drop the yeast. I set it there overnight and move it back to a counter when done.

Just thought I'd chime in on this topic since I also just started a Strawberry wine from frozen strawberries. Mine had a starting SG of 1.095 and in 4 days fermented down to 1.000. I removed the straining bag with pulp and transfered to a 1 Gallon carboy/jug at that reading. Within hours I had sediment about an inch thick at the bottom. Keep us posted with how your batch progresses. I'm curious how others will turn out.

I always bring mine into my kitchen and you still sholuld be able to add everything except the yeast which I found out to be tempature sensitive....That was one of my DUHHHHH moments..
smiley1.gif

I made a strawberry kiwi and it came out pretty good. So far I've not
been happy with anything but Vintners Harvest wine bases or fresh fruit
or kits. Using juices whether frozen concentrate or store bought have
not satisfied me but will keep trying as I hand those out to friends
and they like them.

You should be fine with frozen fruit since ithas to be prettyripe before they canfreeze it whereas the fruit on the stands (i'm talking grocery stores here) was picked before it was ripe.

wade, have you tried any of teh purees? I'm going to try some with mead. Masta suggested that to me.

No not yet! Im going to start banging out some kits for awhile, may
throw a fruit in now and then. Are they Vintners Oregon purees.

yes, the Oregon's. that would be them. Like I said, I'm going to try one here soon. I made my first Vinter's Harvest wine the other day - it's an elderberry. I made it up as a 3-gallon because I hear that's the way to go.

I made a Vintners harvest wine with Black Currant and Red Grape Concentrate....racked it for the second time yesterday and added oak...think it will be one that will go down nice....

Going to start a V-H Blackberry/Red Grape Concentrate next....but the crabapple/apple set down some more sediment, so will give it another couple weeks...need more carboys and a bigger kitchen....Edited by: Northern Winos

NW, did you add the grape concentrate in order to boost the vinter's harvest up to 5 gallons or to try and give it more body?

Latest posts

Back