Start up equipment: Kit or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulFox78

Junior
Reaction score
I am just starting to make wine, have no equipment at all, and have only made wine at one of these "make your own wine out of a box" places. I am ok with the box idea, the wine came out great, and I expect to start with this concept for at least a batch or two with freinds, but hope to graduate to building wines in the near future. Regarding equipment, I see many starter kits with "everything you need to make wine" but I wonder if they are a good deal or is it better to just buy the parts separately. Even if there is some money savings in buying a starter kit, I may go for it, but is the equipment in these starter kits worth it? Any recommendations on what kit to start with (best value)? Thanks for any direction anyone can give a anxious wine lover.

Paul

My recommendation is to call George or one of his guys at Fine Vine Wines (one of our sponsors) and talk to them. They will advise you on what you need to start and cut you a straight deal. Also, their kits only contain the things you need but I would recommend two things: a glass carboy and a floor corker. If you go on in wine making you will bless the day you got a floor corker.

PaulFox...

Joined 2009, and just made his first post. Kinda neat.

Where do you live roughly, even just Canada/Province, USA/State?

Steve

Call George at finevinewines (The Wine Maker's Toy Store). That's where I got my starter kit.

Don't try to buy all pieces individually, it will cost much more.

However, add a few extras. Get two carboys - 6 gallons each. Get stainless steel drill stirrer. Get an extra hydrometer; always have two as they break easily and you will be lost without a hydrometer.

You can get 6 gallon carboys on Amazon for $25e with free shipping.

As for kit vs. parts...I went to my local store (FH Steinbarts) and talked with someone there who made similar wines as I was planning, he helped me pick out what I'd need. I've had to go back once or twice to supplement that, but he was pretty thorough (just didn't think about things like a degassing rod). I've also bought a kit off craigslist from someone who never even opened it; looking through what it had in it, it was also pretty thorough, though slightly lower grade parts (plastic carboy, thinner syphon tubing, cheaper hydrometer, etc.).

My two cents? If you plan on making a batch or two of wine just to see if you can, and can get a cheapish kit, go with kit. If you plan on making this a long term hobby or pursuit, talk with someone and pick up quality parts. It'll be pricier (about twice as much) but it really does make a difference.

Latest posts

Back