WineXpert Stable but slightly high SG:Wait or Stabilize?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guckles

Junior
Reaction score
I'm working on a WE World Vinyard Chilean Malbec. It's currently in the carboy for secondary fermentation and has been for seven days. The SG has been stable at 0.998 for at least 4 days. The instructions state that after 10 days in secondary, the SG should have dropped to at least 0.996.

I'm wondering if I should degass and stabilize the wine according to the standard instructions (which seems like it's an option since the SG is stable) or if I should keep it in secondary for a little longer (which seems like an option since the SG is still a little high).

Some additional info: my room temp is about 77F and none of the stated SG readings are temperature corrected. (Side note: Does anyone know if kit instructions come with temp adjusted SG readings?) Also, I'm not noticing any bubbling in my airlock, only the very occasional small bubble in the neck of the carboy, but I know not to place too much faith in visual signs of fermentation. :)

If you have 4 days at the same reading - it is done. Your hydrometer may not be exactly accurate anyway.

Good point about the accuracy. The only reason I was concerned because the starting SG was a little lower than the kit suggested. (I think the volume markings on my bucket are slightly off) I didn't want to have a really weak wine, but you're right: if it's done, it's done!

Good point about the accuracy. The only reason I was concerned because the starting SG was a little lower than the kit suggested. (I think the volume markings on my bucket are slightly off) I didn't want to have a really weak wine, but you're right: if it's done, it's done!

It's not just that it could be inaccurate, but .002 isn't going to change much anyhow. That's less than a halve percent of abv. Now if it was lower starting sg, depending on how much lower, it could change the taste. IMO, lower alc/vol usually is better tasting, so it's shouldn't hurt anything really. It's when you get to high that it's bad. Lower abv is only bad, when you aren't getting more than 9%, so the wine is protected somewhat. Do you mean "weak" by not having alot of alcohol? The taste really shouldn't suffer, IMO. If you are looking for potency of alcohol, just have another glass. :)

I don't think it could hurt if it's in the secondary to just leave it. As long as there is an airlock, it can sit. Once out of the primary, sitting under airlock doesn't hurt. I don't like mine to sit on too much lees, but it's rare that there a real thick layer anyhow. I'm not a red wine maker, but I try and practice patients on every batch. It seems the faster you try and rush a wine, the worse off you'll be.

Last edited:
I have made a WE Malbec kit, just not that particular one.
The stated starting and ending SG's are pretty much just for reference, as the kits vary from batch to batch and time to time.

Once the SG has stabilized for that many days and at that low of a reading, it is done fermenting. You can leave it a little longer or you can move on to the next step in your instructions. I would recommend getting it off the lees and moving on.

Latest posts

Back