Stabilizing Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kief

Junior
Reaction score
Is it proper procedure to add the stabilizing powders directly into the wine and then stir? How long should one wait prior to sweetening? If a ration of stabilizer indicates it will treat 5 gal, is it neccessary to reduce the amount proportionate to 1 gal batch? Sorry for such a greenhorn question. ( I'm new to the game)----not even sure I'm in the right forum------Kief from Missouri Edited by: Kief

Welcome Kief,

When you say stabilizing powders I assume you are talking about Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisulfite. Yes they can be adding directly to the wine and stirred well and sweetening can be done at the same time.

The amount sorbate and K-meta should be proportionalto the volume of wine.

Take some time and look through these past newletter articles as they contain lots of great info on this subject and many others.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wine-Kit-Articles.htm

Kief....at least you seem to know what stablizing is.

I recently looked up a recipe for chickweed wine... I figured since I can't get rid of the stuff .....maybe I should try making it into wine this summer. Up to this point I have made only kit wines with one exception the (orange mead wine...and that is only 2 months old).The Jack Kellers recipe for chickweed wine, simply states....to stablize and sweeten in the instructions.

STABLIZE???Now from your"green horn" question I know now Iwill need 1/8 tsp of potassium metabisulfite for the 1 gallon recipe AND 1/2 tsp of pottassium sorbate.

So thanks for asking the question...

JC

Speaking of weeds...we have a lot of Wormwood growing out in the pasture...think that's what Absinthe is made of....any recipes for 'The Green Fairy'???

Back