Stabilizing/ Camden Tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kief

Junior
Reaction score
Good Morning: I will soon be stabilizing 6 gal of blackberry made from cider. I'll use 1/2 tsp per gal of patassium sorbate. Should I also use 6 camden tablets ? Will this effect the taste ?------Kief

Unless you have already added a lot of campdens or K-Meta, Yes you add the 6 tablets-one per gallon when adding sorbate. The sorbate alone isn't enough protection for aging. It's main purpose is to prevent fermentation from restarting, or a secondary fermentation from malolactic bacteria(MLF).

Should I add Campden tablets each time I rack my wine and how do I measure the level of sulfite in my wine?

Wine Wizard replies: Hold on there, tiger! If you've got a standard 0.44 gram Campden tablet and you're putting it in one gallon of wine, you're blasting it with 66 mg/L sulfur dioxide, which is quite a lot if you've already been adding a tablet each time you rack. It's no wonder your wine tasted a little off.

http://www.winemakermag.com/mrwizard/142.html

Latest posts

Back