St. James Winery Winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jon, looks like I'll have about 6-7 gallons of chardonel in a few days to play with. Here's my question - how do you handle the cold ferment? My apt stays a pretty constant 75 in all types of weather, unless it drops a bit lower in the winter. Do you have any tricks for keeping the primary colder for fermentation? One of the things I have been curious about for a bit now. Without having like, a cellar or something.

Yeah - I have a 23 cu ft chest freezer with a thermostat override. Works great - I have the juice fermenting down at 54* right now....

I also use it for cold stabilizing - I can get it down to about 24* - but i generally take it to 28* for about 3 weeks.

What you can do to help out - ferment in a room that is not facing the sun all day - not many windows. Open the AC vents and close the door..

Hmmm... that would be pretty handy! Haha. Unfortunately, nothing really that fits the bill. I did have a thought - if I can find some sort of tray - deepish, I could place the primary in there and load it up with ice. I've heard this for tubs, but I never quite understood how people could accomplish that. Unless they have a spare, or get awfully smelly during primary fermentation. :)

Hmmm... that would be pretty handy! Haha. Unfortunately, nothing really that fits the bill. I did have a thought - if I can find some sort of tray - deepish, I could place the primary in there and load it up with ice. I've heard this for tubs, but I never quite understood how people could accomplish that. Unless they have a spare, or get awfully smelly during primary fermentation. :)

You could get a large brute container - put ice water in it - then put your container in it. But you would have to monitor it to keep the temp and the desired levels...

Well - results are in - racked my Chardonel into glass carboys.

I racked about 34 gallons over - paid for 35 - so paid $6 over - not bad.

When it is all said and finished - I am hoping to get 32-33 gallons of finished wine.

I also realized - I need more airlocks and #7 Drilled bungs - Doug - probably coming out your way soon..

Chardonel is shaping up nicely and clearing right now.

Chemistry on it:

TA = 6.6 g/l
PH = 3.74
Starting SG = 1.098
Ending SG = .996

It has a very string apple smell on the nose followed by some melon and grassy notes.

I know for a white - the TA seems a bit low and the PH a bit high - both are within range - not too concerned with it - but might try to get it around:

TA = 6.8 g/l
PH = 3.55 - 3.60

I am going to Oak the Chardonel a little - and for this white - I don't want the TA to be very high.

Looks like your PH might be a bit high.

Yeah - I know. I am considering adding some TA to get the TA up to about 6.8 g/l and try to bring the PH down between 3.5-3.6.

But still debating - as it tastes great right now - don't want to compromise the taste - but also don't want it to spoil b/c the PH is a bit high.

Thoughts?? Where the PH is - would it be alright??

I need to check my numbers, at the moment just watching them sit. They don't seem to be clearing very well, will rack once more then think about adding something to help clear it.

I need to check my numbers, at the moment just watching them sit. They don't seem to be clearing very well, will rack once more then think about adding something to help clear it.

Patience Doug :)

Mine is clearing well - still has some cloudiness to it - but not bad - I can see through it.

I vacuum rack mine around 18-20Hg - so It has been degassed well...

It smells great and tastes good too....

Can't see thru mine, next racking will also degass and add some sulfates. BTW, the Rougon is still bubbling pretty good, kinda freaky, but it is clear.

You can get away with a 3.7 pH if you drink the wine in less than 2 years, IMO. I would still add some tartaric acid though as just .15-.2 drop will not change the flavor too much. Further, the taste may change at first, but then mellow with age. I could see dropping down to 3.5-3.55 even. Many of our fruit wines seemed off after adjusting acid to get them where we wanted, but after some aging, it smooths out very nicely actually.

IMO, knowing the wine type and adjusting to a good pH has always worked well for me. If a wine seems slightly more acidic to taste during testing, that's not a deal breaker. The taste will mellow with aging. It all depends on how much aging you want to do and what type/flavor profile you are looking to create within that age range.

Last edited:
You can get away with a 3.7 pH if you drink the wine in less than 2 years, IMO. I would still add some tartaric acid though as just .15-.2 drop will not change the flavor too much. Further, the taste may change at first, but then mellow with age. I could see dropping down to 3.5-3.55 even. Many of our fruit wines seemed off after adjusting acid to get them where we wanted, but after some aging, it smooths out very nicely actually.

IMO, knowing the wine type and adjusting to a good pH has always worked well for me. If a wine seems slightly more acidic to taste during testing, that's not a deal breaker. The taste will mellow with aging. It all depends on how much aging you want to do and what type/flavor profile you are looking to create within that age range.

Good points - I am probably going to age close to a year in the carboy - then bottle it - let it again another 6-9 months.

So I will probably add a little TA - try to drop the PH under 3.60..

Ok - so i adjusted the chemistry:

TA = 7.3 g/l
PH = 3.56

I like this better than before - I can live with this...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back