St. James Winery Winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in when you go! Did they have Seyval? I've been wanting to try Seyval as a base for fruit.

They normally do have Seyval and Vidal - but not this year.

Will try to get some next year.

Nobeleis Vineyard has Vidal - 300#'s min - $1.25/#

Hrm. Would love some chardonel and some norton, ideally. Still hoping I will get it, but need to look into some other options as well. Another red perhaps, as well. I know pretty much all of the reds are still to be collected, so that would likely be the easiest thing to do.

But for sure, if people plan another trip (either this year for a red) or next year, please keep me (and others) in the loop - could be a fun gathering for some MO winemakers and an opportunity for everyone to get a bit of juice.

The math looks right - but for Chardonel - i do 18#'s per gallon. The grapes i used to get were $.50 per pound - comes out to $9 per gallon.

We got the juice for $6 per gallon - do the opposite it figures out to be $.34 per #..

Much better deal that I have ever seen - and all the crushing/destemming/SO2 additions/cold soaking is all already done.

For $15 - he will supply a 55 gallon blue drum to transport the wine in..

We also get the juice off the first settling from the cold soak...

Luckily Doug was willing to go in with me - 55 gallons is a lot - I was going to attempt it - but then Doug said he was in.

Yeah, definitely don't think I could or would want to handle that much. Frankly even 30 of one variety is a bit much for me. Would rather have some smaller volumes of a couple varieties.

Absolutely looks like a great deal. The inclusion of the handling/crushing/pressing is pretty great and takes a lot out of the equation in terms of work for you or additional costs trying to get that done elsewhere.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing, you two!

Yeah, definitely don't think I could or would want to handle that much. Frankly even 30 of one variety is a bit much for me. Would rather have some smaller volumes of a couple varieties.

Absolutely looks like a great deal. The inclusion of the handling/crushing/pressing is pretty great and takes a lot out of the equation in terms of work for you or additional costs trying to get that done elsewhere.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing, you two!

Anytime - and if we plan another trip - which i know we will - we will post it and see what and how much everybody wants.

Plan an outing...

Anytime - and if we plan another trip - which i know we will - we will post it and see what and how much everybody wants.

Plan an outing...

Any chance you'd be taking the 'scenic' route through North Dakota??:D

I'll haul everybody's juice for them.

Everybody has until the start of fermentation to pick up their juice from my place :)

Anyone have any experience with Rougeon grapes?

I did Rougeon last fall and have another batch aging now. Most people who have had it (Julie, Runningwolf) among others say they like it alot, my wife says it was the best from last year. It was my second favorite from last year.

What type of grape and wine did you make? I am going for dry, but with a starting SG of only 1.052 I added 2.5 lbs sugar to 5 +- gallons. new readings are 1.010 and 1.025 ( two buckets) Hope to hit 10% ABV.

Sounds a bit odd for a MO grape, especially this season, to be that low on sugar. I haven't seen much of any reds being harvested yet though. Outside of a few select ones, most vineyards are waiting longer for reds. St. James makes a decent dessert wine out of that though. Not stellar, but pretty decent.

My thought is they pitched the yeast a few days before and they gave me the SG when I got it, not when they pitched the yeast. It may have been higher to start with. I e-mailed them, no reply yet.
So I have some rocket fuel! LOL :)

I'll rack them tomorrow, need some more bottles. Racked 2 1/2 buckets of the chardonell this evening, the other 3 are ready too... anyone know where I can get some carboys...LOL:slp:sm

Last edited:
Ah hah! Well then you will have some excellent rocket fuel! Hahaha. On the bright side, like I said, they make a higher alcohol dessert wine with it, so that might be what you end up with. :)

Slip into your store under the cover of night and steal some bottles. Then in the morning act confused that they are missing! :n

car is already loaded with carboys. Fermentation was fast. almost everything needs racking, just pitched the yeast Monday nite. It was in a spare room in the house so air temp around 75*. I did move the Rougeon to the basement where it was cooler, but fermentation was the same, ready to rack.

My Chardonel's SG is right now at 1.074... Cold Ferment at 56*...

Been going since monday...

Hey Jon, looks like I'll have about 6-7 gallons of chardonel in a few days to play with. Here's my question - how do you handle the cold ferment? My apt stays a pretty constant 75 in all types of weather, unless it drops a bit lower in the winter. Do you have any tricks for keeping the primary colder for fermentation? One of the things I have been curious about for a bit now. Without having like, a cellar or something.

Yeah, he cheats, he has a converted chest freezer :)
Mine was fermented between 73 and 78* and went fast. Played with different chemicals, still have one to be racked but others were ready in three to four days. Not sure how things are going to turn out that fast. Just hopeing for the best.

Latest posts

Back