Spray damage to grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 32346

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone ever caused damage to fruit development by spraying at the wrong time or by spray concentration?

Last edited:
Learn the hard way.

Oh yes. In 25 years only four incidents. The two that you mentioned are common. The other two in my case were spaying chemicals that otherwise by themselves are OK...but never at the same time. And the worse ever occurred by hired help and bad planning on my part. To get a jump on spraying I thought I had a good plan..later I discovered bad idea. Spraying advice number 12...NEVER, NEVER, NEVER have a crew spray herbicides along the rows while another crew is spraying dormant oil, bug sprays or other non-herbicide chemicals on the vines at the same time. People will talk, chatter whatever is human nature and get side tracked. Next thing you know...the crew spraying the herbicide is spraying the vines and the bug spray is going on the ground.

Define "damage to fruit development." Does that include killing a vine deader than a doornail? Actually, I had problems with some apple and peach trees 30 years ago. I had been using a product called Orchard Spray. I don't remember which company made it. I had been following the directions, but the trees were damaged slightly. The only thing I can think of that I might have done wrong was spraying too often. The spray had an insecticide and a fungicide in it as I recall. But it could have been a neighbor's lawn service using 2, 4, d for broadleaf weed control. 2,4,d is bad about drifting.

Carboy, that sounds like something that might even make a grown man cry... I hope you didn't lose too many.
Garymc, I didn't kill anything and it was using a standard known spray copper spray that has worked for me in the past.

Was spraying for powdery mildrew after rain and my Syrah vines were fine with no impact but the Carmenere vines were not so happy. They are about 1-2 weeks behind the Syrah and thinking back were probably still in last phases of flowering and the mixture munted a good % of the fruit. Suspect my concentration was a bit high and I was paranoid and really soaked the fruit. It could be something completely different not the spray but it has stunted the growth for sure of some.

A picture below and but you see the small fruit with what looks to have powdery mildrew but I think it is actually spray. The reason I think spray not infection is the grapes are not splitting and have since gone through veraison.

Am I way off track?

20160130_210350758_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Back