Spray bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
Ok, I bought a spray bottle & have sulfide. I've seen posts on how to mix, but wondering how long it will last?? What's the expiration date on a spray bottle full of metabisulfate?

Thanks. Brian

I think they say 3 months. I've only mixed up sulfite twice since i started making wine last august. If you dont add citric acid, its less potent but lasts longer. Citric acid makes the k-meta more active. I havent added any, and it'll still make ya light headed if ya get a whiff - which you're not supposed to do :)

I make up a gallon at a time and just add to my spray bottle as I need it. I have some kmeta in carboys over 6 months old that is still strong.

Ok, I bought a spray bottle & have sulfide. I've seen posts on how to mix, but wondering how long it will last?? What's the expiration date on a spray bottle full of metabisulfate?

Thanks. Brian

If when you smell it and it takes your breath away ... it's still good.

+1 to what all these guys said. Keep it closed and it will keep a long, long time.

I mixed up 1 crushed campden to 1 qt. water, used about 1/4 cup, saved the rest in a tightly sealed 1 qt mason jar to keep for later use. 2 mos. later, I went to use it and the jar was full of floating mold.

So, what gives? Bad campden? Wrong ratio? Super-resistant mold??? That shouldn't have happened, should it?

I would not use campden tablets for making a sanitizing solution. The ratio is three tablespoons per gallon of powdered kmeta. I have some over 6 months old and still stinky strong!

smellyshunk.gif

yea not enough. I would not use campton as you will need alot. Get powdered k-meta 2 tbls to a gallon. store in a gallon carboy

Thanks for the replies. This brings up another question. If its that stinky, doesn't it effect the wine?
Thanks,

Brian

Also if you do smell it then you added to much and need to do something about it

Remember to empty the solution out of the carboy before adding wine to it.

Have read posts where folks forgot to do that...

Latest posts

Back