Spiced Apple juice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I want to make a spiced apple juice wine. I have bought some all
natural apple juice with absolutely no additives that is pressed and
tastes almost like cider. I would like to add spices and put raisins in
it. I will be making 1 gallon to try. I have never used raisins and do
not know when to put them in, take them out or how much to use. Anybody
give a helping hand here. I would appreciate it. If I were to mull it,
would I simmer 1st with the mulling spices or put the mulling spices in
when its fermenting? Thanx, Wade
Edited by: wadewade

Raisins- I would chop them up, and add them to your primary(use a straining bag for ease of removal).
As far as spices, I would use whole spices-cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, allspice-in the primary.
I have also added acinnamon stick to a bottle of wine and aged a few months.( Dip the cinnamon stick in sulfite solution first)Yummy!!
If you decide to mull the wine after fermentation, I would add the spices with the wine in a large pan and slowly heat to near the boiling point.

Hope this helps!

Wade,

FoundSpiced Apple Wine at Brewsupplies.com. Here is the link http://brewsupplies.com/homemade_wine_recipes.htm.

As far as mulling is concerned, here is a snipet I grabbed off a site:

<H1 align=center>Mulled Wine</H1>
<CENTER>

mulled_wine.jpg

<H2>Wine heated with sugar and spice is called a "mull"</H2></CENTER>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

In the midst of winter, in the long dark and cold evening, a warm and rosy cheer is brought about by a nice hot mulled wine shared amungst a group of friends or neighbors. The really great thing with mulled wine is it tends to be better with rough dark red wines. The trick is to heat the wine with the spices and make sure you do not boil the mixture. Boiling will drive off most of the alcohol, which has a lower boiling point than water. If you have thermometer then keep the temperature at no more than say 60C (140F). Serve in hot glasses to conserve the heat.</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have an open fire then you can try the classical method of heating mulled wine. Many moons ago in ancient Britain they produced "mulling irons" specifically to heat your ale or wine. You heat your iron in the fire. Tap the heated iron to remove any ash or scale and the dip the iron into your wine. This not only warms the drink but also imparts a ferrous taste.
<CENTER></CENTER>

YoBrew's traditional mulled wine
Ingredients

2 Bottles of Red wine (a rough dark red is best)
Country wines with plenty of tannin do well. Bilberry, damson, blackberry, black plum and blackcurrant. Why the rough wines do better than the good ones when mulling wines I'll never know but its a fortunate fact, and its the destiny for my elderberry which never quite made the grade.
Four small oranges

1 Large lemon
Orange rind
Brown Sugar (or 2 table spoons of Honey)
12 Cloves
2 sticks of Cinnamon (Each 3 inches long)
(Aniseed &amp; Fennel optional)

Instructions
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Insert 4 cloves into each small orange
2) Grate the peal from the fourth orange and squeeze the juice into a cup
3) Grate the peel from the lemon and squeeze the juice into the cup of orange juice.
4) Add the grated orange &amp; lemon peel and the three small oranges to into a pan
5) Add the Cinnamon sticks. (and optionally other spices such as Aniseed &amp; Fennel)
6) Pour the bottles of wine into a pan and warm to about 60C (140F) (DO NOT BOIL).
7) If possible warm the gasses to be used
8) Add the orange &amp; lemon juice
9) Add sugar or honey to taste, stiring while adding
SERVE</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

(If you would like to do this using an open fire whilst your muffins are toasting then do steps 1 - 9 and only warm the wine (say 40 - 50 C)
Then each guest dips the heated iron poker into their drink to raise the temperature and to impart a ferrous taste. Always tap the poker first and trust that your poker is not toxic.

This should overcome the winter cold and provide jollity and good cheer. </BLOCKQUOTE>

If you plan on back-sweetening this wine, try brown sugar.I tried this for the first on a gallon of apple wine, and it was YUMMY! Something about the brown sugar brought a very nice richness-really brought out the apple flavor.

Ms Spain,

The brown sugar sounds perfect with apple, almost like apple pie!

Thanks MSSpain, I am putting together the Spiced Apple Wine tonight and
the brown sugar back-sweetening sounds awesome as I always back-sweeten
. My wife and I do not like dry wine. I am making 6 gallons, how much
raiins would you use for this anyone. I have never used raisins before
but I hear that they add alot of body and I do believe they would
really blend well with this wine. I will be chopping them up. Thanks

Wade,

Most of the recipes that I found that used raisins used 1/2 lb per gallon (a few use 1 cup..not sure how much a cup of raisins weigh).

Once you chop them up, the yeast won't leave much of them except a little hull, but still better to use a bag.

20060912_182200_DSCN0039_Large.JPG

20060912_182335_DSCN0038_Large.JPG

Ok the mulled spiced apple wine is ready to put yeast in. I have the
raisins, mulling sices, and 5 cinnamon sticks in the bag. I have 6
gallons of all ntural pressed juice in,pectic enyme, yeast
nutrient, yeast energizer, 6 campden tabs, 4 tsps. of acid blend, 7
lbs. of sugar and SG is 1.090. I'm going to begin the yeast starter
right now.See Ya later.

Scratch the lemon rind (unless you like it), scratch the honey. Put cloves, cinammon stick, and sugar to taste (get it real sweet). Use the carlo-rossi wine - or whichever cheapest you can get in yoru area. You might want to try a dab of nutmeg as well. Some people put a shot of rum in there, but I don't think you need it at all.

Do not let the concoction boil. You should heat it for about an hour, take the spices out and drink warm. It tastes best outside in very cold weather.

If you happen to have some left over, put in a bottle with a screw-cap, and put it in the fridge. You can microwave it for 1:45 on high to get the right temp.

HUGELY popular drink in Germany at christmastime, and I am forced to make it every year for the husband.

Obviously, with me too. I seem to know something in the kitchen!

Should be nice and good for next Thanksgiving with a Cranberry wine
that I cant wait till cranberrys to become available to get that
started.

Latest posts

Back