Specific Gravity reading primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Giorgio

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I started two pails of red (old vine zin. And Grenache). I know the SG reading should be about 1 before racking first time. It’s been about 8 days and my SG reading is 1.10. Am I OK to rack? I have it warming now thinking maybe some fermentation needs to finish up? Should I do anything else? Any help is appreciated.

Just researching how to read hydrometer so I guess it would be at 1.01? Same question continued. Do I still need to wait a bit to rack?

I am no expert but - I think you are ready to rack start your secondary if you are at 1.01 SG for a day or two.

does everyone agree?

Cmason writes:

I generally wait until about 1.000 or so, maybe just a bit above, if the timing works better at 1.010

Just researching how to read hydrometer so I guess it would be at 1.01? Same question continued. Do I still need to wait a bit to rack?

Since you sound a bit unsure of your hydrometer reading, it might be worthwhile to take a picture of your hydrometer in the wine and post it here as well. Just to be certain of what it is reading.

It may be hrs to see but this is why I am looking at. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 29AE6C1B-E9C3-4E0B-BE61-B3A017209CF2.jpeg
    29AE6C1B-E9C3-4E0B-BE61-B3A017209CF2.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 48
  • 6E97F5E1-ADB2-4C57-AF92-310DC3FC5816.jpeg
    6E97F5E1-ADB2-4C57-AF92-310DC3FC5816.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
Not as low as what I like to see in my primary but I think its too late to add any nutrients.

Certainly to late to add nutrients, the yeast can't use it and it will be left over in your must for some bad thing to use later. I agree you are at 1.010 +/- a bit, due to angle we are at. Since it is Sunday and I assume you are at home and have time, I would probably let it continue until tonight and then rack it. If tomorrow works better for you, let it wait. I would give it a good site, just because I stir everything twice or three times a day.

I am no expert but - I think you are ready to rack start your secondary if you are at 1.01 SG for a day or two.

does everyone agree?
Yes, you can Rack at 1.01, to the secondary. it's a great SG to start that process. The must still has plenty of CO2 at that point. Also, the must in secondary will continue to ferment the remaining small amount of sugar pushing out any oxygen added to the must during rack from the primary to the secondary.

Definitely as winemaker8r says. SG readings posted should always be four (4) digits to avoid confusion and so that you are reading a posting correctly. Sorry if that sounds Hardline but in order to give sound accurate help we need accurate information.
Never 1.1 or 1.01
Always 1.100 or 1.010

Back