Specific Gravity Measuring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOESILVA401

Reaction score
Measuring SG- I find I'm getting 2 different numbers and/or readings using two different methods! My first method is when I leave the hydrometer in the wine thief and capture wine from source until it floats and get reading. The other method is when I leave the hydrometer out of thief until after the wine is captured in the thief and then I drop the hydrometer in while spinning it. These numbers are always different---anyone know why? Also which is best practice/ method for most accurate measurements? Thanks----

Interesting. Though I can't imagine why, how much difference?

It may be getting stuck in the thief. Do a 3rd test from another item such as a Carboy. Compare to see which two are similar.

It may be getting stuck in the thief. Do a 3rd test from another item such as a Carboy. Compare to see which two are similar.

Good point. I have to be mindful that my tube is truly vertical when I use it for the hydrometer. The hydrometer sure can stick to one side.

It was variance of .2-.3 on reading. 1.095- 1.098. I try to keep my big reds close to 1.098--1.100 as possible at start of primary ferm... Do you ave preferred method of taking SG with thief? Already in, or drop it in after wine is captured? Thanks!

It was variance of .2-.3 on reading. 1.095- 1.098. I try to keep my big reds close to 1.098--1.100 as possible at start of primary ferm... Do you ave preferred method of taking SG with thief? Already in, or drop it in after wine is captured? Thanks!
Personally I put the hydrometer in the Thief, and then sanitize the pair together. If the hydrometer is misbehaving, sometimes releasing the wine in the Thief, and putting more in will help. Also twisting the Thief sometimes helps. But sometimes, it's just tough to get what I feel is an exact reading.

OTOH, this wine is just for me. Who cares if my reading is out by .002 (about 0.25%).

Steve

in bucket

Thanks! Any tips on getting the hydrometer out of a carboy after you drop it in for a reading? I'll look into the 250 ml cylinder... Great Stuff

If you have a vacuum pump, just slip a hose from the pump(on of course) over the hydrometer shaft and lift it out.

YO

I like to put the hydrometer in the test jar first (gently!) and then adding the wine wine so I can put in just the right amount and not end up with wine overflowing.

Latest posts

Back