Sparkolloid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatud4life

Future wine & SP maker
Reaction score
Have a question. I've read 4 or 5 different directions for using sparkolloid. I've read to dissolve in hot water for 5 minutes, dissolve in cold water for 5 minutes, dissolve in hot water for 30 minutes, and dissolve in boiling water for 15 minutes. WHICH ONE IS RIGHT?!?!?! Or is there another set of directions that I have not found yet? Please help!!!!!

Good Point, I was looking at this last night and found several different ways to mix it. Midwest Wine says to boil for 15 minutes and add one table spoon to 6 gallons

That was the last set of directions I've read. I'm so confused!!! Lol

I have wondered too. I have had mixed results at 5 minutes so I started doing the 15 minutes.

I have had the same mixed results with 5 minutes. I believe the longer dissolving time is the best route to take.

Sparkolloid is a clay based ingredient. It however needs to be "positively" charged attracting the sediment in the wine which are negatively charged. By simmering a good 20-30 minutes you make it fully dissolved in the water and pos. charged.

Before you start to rack start your sparkolloid and stir often. While its going rack your wine, add sulfite.

When it's done add and stir in well. You will see the sediment drop lottery within a half hour. If its well degraded your wine will be @3/4 cleared overnight.

I simmer on stove. You can microwave it but its harder to stir and you should stir frequently.

Thanks Steve!!!! You have confirmed my suspicions that it needs to be simmered longer than the suggested 5 minutes. I see my folly.

Fill Carboy to the shoulders with wine. Add 3/4's of your spark. hot, thru a funnel w/filter screen. Stir briskly back n forth @30 seconds.

Fill wine to just under knuckle. Add remaining sparkolloid. Stir as best you can.

Airlock and keep at room temp a few days. You'll see results quick bid not it most likely needs degassed.

I clear my wines 6 weeks. 4 is enough.

Rack off from sediment, add 1/4 teaspoon sulfite and age in a cool place.

I have been using it for my skeeter pee with mixed results. The first batch didn't clear very much and I had to add a second dose. I only used hit water from the faucet. Not the way to go. My second batch cleared perfectly over night. I simmered the sparkolloid for about 15 minutes. My third batch cleared but is still cloudy. I boiled the sparkolloid for 5 minutes this time. The only difference has to be the time difference.

It's important to be sure fermentation is complete. If not it will generate CO2 and keep sediment in suspension

Degassing is equally important

Yeah. Fermentation was finished. I had a S. G. of .994 for 3 days. I stirred daily during fermentation to degas. I'm going to give a week or 2. If it hasn't cleared by then, I'll probably add another dose of sparkolloid.

I've just started a new batch this morning 5 gallons cab 5 gallons merlot the cab is bubbling nicely but the merlot is not active at all. I used the same yeast and procedure any ideas why

Ok. I can't think of any reason why they both shouldn't be bubbling good. I haven't been doing this for very long. I'm still learning. Sorry buddy!!!

I back sweetened my strawberry pee the other day. It became cloudy again. Would it be ok to add another dose of sparkolloid?

Latest posts

Back