Sparkaloid vs Gelatin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val M

Junior
Reaction score
I have a question as to which is better to use as a fining agent.
I aquired 6 gal. of white hungarian grape juice from a winery in Temecula, Ca. (Bella Vista Winery)It's supposedto be acrisp, sweet, blush wine according to the wine maker. I haven't had the opportunity to make too much of anything besides the kits that I buy from George.
I'm in the secondary fermentation stage and getting ready to rack to another carboy. I will put in the required meta and sorbate, but I'm not sure which product is the best to use for clearing. The sparkaloid or gelatin. Or both?
Just looking for some expert advice as you all have been doing this a lot longer than I have. I really don't want to mess this up, as I have to let the owner of the winery taste it when I get done. I know it's not going to taste anything like his as he has all the best equipment and expertise, but I want it to at least be respectable!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Val

Val, if you have the time, no clarifier is best! Just let time take it's course and drop the sediment on it's own. Since this is supposed to be a light blush, if I did have to use a clarifier, I'd probably go with liquid isinglass since it is one of the most gentle clarifiers out there.

Sparkalloid is the strongest clarifier out there for home use, and should only really be used as a last resort. Gelatin works best on red wines to help remove harsh tannins as well as suspended particles.

Dean,
Thank you so much for the reply. About how long do you think I should let it sit after racking(2,3 6mo?)and should I use the sorbate and k-meta now or wait 'til the very end? I'm thinking at least the k-meta now.

both sorbate and k-meta now and maybe even an extra addition of k-meta at the 6 month mark.

I'd wait until 2 months, rack, wait 2 more months, rack and add 1/8 tsp k-meta, then wait 2 more months, and test free So2. If less than 25ppm, add another 1/8tsp of k-meta and bottle.

Dean is right on with all his comments. I might add that if the desired wine is to be sweet make sure you test it at about the 4 month racking and check the SG for residual sugars. If there isn't enough sweetness(fermented dry), mix up some sugar and water and add in small amounts until you get to the desired sweetness. You could check with the supplier on recommended SG for the finished wine. Be sure you don't add it unilt you have added the k-meta and sorbate or it might referment the addition. I like to leave it another two months before bottling to allow it to reclear, otherwise it could be a bit cloudy or hazy.

Back