WineXpert Spanish Tempranillo with Grape Skin Pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo46307

Reaction score
Just started this kit on Sunday 12/11/11. It's an interesting change from the normal WE kits I've done the past couple of years. The grape skin pack raised the SG from 1.092 to 1.106 overnight, that's after adding the two packs of RC212 it came with. Lot's of oak with this kit. 2 packs (60g) of powdered toasted oak, 2 packs (60g) of slivered French Oak, then 60g of French Oak Cubes to add after clarification.

I'll let you know in a year or so how it turns out...:)

I'm really trying to make an effort to let my reds age like they should...it's just so hard!:dg

Peace,
Bob

Bob, I am making the Nero D'Avola from the same series and I think it is going to be great. I have it in bulk aging right now and I hope I can stay away from it for at least 6 more months.

BTW, isn't Crown Point a city that has something to do with Dillinger?

Bob, I am making the Nero D'Avola from the same series and I think it is going to be great. I have it in bulk aging right now and I hope I can stay away from it for at least 6 more months.

Hello,
I just got the same kit. Are you bulk aging in 1 gal, 3 gal or 6 gal Carboy?

Thank you,
Tony

Dillinger broke out of the old Lake County jail in Crown Point. They filmed a few scenes from the movie "Public Enemies" at the old jail. Good catch!

Peace,
Bob

Layering the oak

HA YES LAYERING THE OAK WERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE?:mny

Hello,
I just got the same kit. Are you bulk aging in 1 gal, 3 gal or 6 gal Carboy?

Thank you,
Tony

Hey Tony, I have it in a 6 gallon carboy. I am sure you know that "nero" is "black" in Italian and this stuff is really dark. It is going to be a great wine. I looked at my records and I put it into bulk aging on 11-11. I hope I can keep my hands off it until May or June next year.

I just started the Chilean Malbec/Shiraz from that series on 12/11. Looks like we have 3 of the 4 kits going at about the same time. Might be interesting to keep in touch on how each is progressing and how they turn out in the next 6-12 months. I will be starting the Nero after the 1st.

I made a WE Spanish Tempranillo in 2008. It was the World Vineyard 10 liter kit, no grape skins. I wasn't expecting an outstanding wine, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I love this wine with red meat dishes, like lamb and beef. It's also great for cooking beef dishes (e.g., braised shortribs provencal). Of course, it's quite nice for afternoon sipping too.

If there is now a Spanish Tempranillo with grape skins, I'm seriously interested.

:u

The kit finished off at .994, I racked, stabilized, degassed, added fining agent, and added the oak cubes yesterday per instructions.

Peace,
Bob

:u

The kit finished off at .994, I racked, stabilized, degassed, added fining agent, and added the oak cubes yesterday per instructions.

Peace,
Bob

looks like we're on the same schedule, I completed this stage on the Chilean Malbec/shiraz on 1/2. I plan to rack again this weekend to sit and clarify further until about mid March. I will bottle then. Looking forward to a taste this weekend to see how it's doing.

looks like we're on the same schedule, I completed this stage on the Chilean Malbec/shiraz on 1/2. I plan to rack again this weekend to sit and clarify further until about mid March. I will bottle then. Looking forward to a taste this weekend to see how it's doing.

I've racked off of the oak cubes, topped off with a bottle of store bought Tempranillo, and now the wait begins. I'll rack in a few months, but I'm not going to bottle this until October...at the least. It'll be tough...but, I think this kit warrants bulk aging.

In the mean time, I have a WE Trinity Red, that will suffice...life is tough!!:D

Peace,
Bob

I've racked off of the oak cubes, topped off with a bottle of store bought Tempranillo, and now the wait begins. I'll rack in a few months, but I'm not going to bottle this until October...at the least. It'll be tough...but, I think this kit warrants bulk aging.

In the mean time, I have a WE Trinity Red, that will suffice...life is tough!!:D

Peace,
Bob

I haven't been convinced yet that bulk aging in a carboy more than six weeks or so provides any real difference from aging in bottles (barrels of course are a completely different story). This also allows me to free up carboys a little quicker and need less overall space to boot! That is why I've pretty much decided to age for 7 weeks in carboy after final racking and then bottle once sure the wine is clear.

BTW, an interesting "experiment" is being carried out on another forum (I know that a lot of folks belong to several different forums so this is probably not news to anyone here). This is taking the same kit (X's 3) and making it according to different schedules. I've attached a link if anyone's interested.

http://wineframes.blogspot.com/

Back