sourcing grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxmaster1

Junior
Reaction score
Have any of you sourced grapes in quantities of 1/2 or 1 ton? Im on east coast (maryland) and nexst year I'd like to order 1 large shipment of white and 1 red grape but not sure how to go about this-sourcing, shipping (how), pickup (where)...Ive heard this is a lot less expensive, even though im sure its just easier to buy by the lug? Any suggestions??? Thx, Paul

Last edited:
You can get bins of grapes however it is not a good idea as in the shipping the grapes will be damaged. No one in their right mind would want to take quality grapes and have them shipped from CA in that manner. Also the price differential compared to Lugs is not that different.
Malvina

I agree with LAX. There is a reason for the lugs. One reason is that they are easy to handle, but another reason is that the grapes do not get curshed under their own weight.

There are a number of grape dealers. I would get on the internet and do some research.

1/2 to 1 ton is not a whole lot of grapes to a grape dealer. Most dealers will have the opinion that all their grapes will eventually sell, so no bargaining is needed on their part. It has been my experience that a winemaker supply shop will bargain on equipment, but NEVER on grapes. That is not to say that it is not worth trying.

So I would recommend that you still buy lugs of grapes, and see if the dealer will give you quantity pricing.

An order of 2 tons of grapes by lugs ( 112 ) is not considered quantity pricing by most packers. If you plan on arranging shipping yourself you will find that to be prohibitive. The only answer for the quantities you are talking about and getting the finest fruit would be from Gino Pinto in South Jersey. M&M Grape partners with Pinto and they can deliver to Restaurant Depots for you to pick up. Speak to Nick Copolla at M&M for more information.
Malvina

Last edited:
Back