Sour Aftertaste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flafemina

Reaction score
Made wine from juice, Pinot Nior. Fermented in carboy, 5 gallons, since October. Multiple rackings, treat with K-meta but only once. Just bottled today and tasted some. Has a sour aftertaste. Will this mellow out in the bottles?

If you have a little left over, try sweetening it just a bit. If you let it sit in the bottles for a couple of months then try it again, there is a good possibility it will smooth out. Try it again in July, then again in Sept. If it is coming around, it will probably be what you are looking for after some time. Might take a few months, maybe a year or more, maybe it won't smooth out no matter how long you wait. Good luck with it, Arne.

I would check your acid level. Sourness usually is a sign of high acid.

Arne is correct. Try adding a smidge of sugar and see if it improves.

You could also experiment with adding a little potassium Bicarb to lower the acid level.

Last edited:
To me, Pinot Noir tastes strange as a fruit forward wine. Meaning to say--no MLF. This is one wine that really needs an MLF to bring out all its flavor characteristics and smooth it out. And the thing about this grape is that it takes a long time aging to bring out its flavor. While young, the flavors can really hide out. I don't like to crack open a bottle until it has been aged a minimum of 2 years--and, of course, undergone the MLF.

Made wine from juice, Pinot Nior. Fermented in carboy, 5 gallons, since October. Multiple rackings, treat with K-meta but only once. Just bottled today and tasted some. Has a sour aftertaste. Will this mellow out in the bottles?

You should be adding 1/4 teaspoon of kmeta every three months.

Latest posts

Back