sorbate-how to know if fermenting has stopped?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mersydo

Junior
Reaction score
i added sorbate and camden prior to backsweetening two gallon of strawberry wine-3 days ago. how can you tell if the sorbate is working and therefore i can be confident in bottling the wine knowing that there will be no more fermentation??

Wait for a week say after sweetening, keep at reasonable temperature, if no bubbles, go for it.

i added sorbate and camden prior to backsweetening two gallon of strawberry wine-3 days ago. how can you tell if the sorbate is working and therefore i can be confident in bottling the wine knowing that there will be no more fermentation??

How much did you add (meta/sorbate)?
Did you ck the gravity after back sweetening? Ck again in a week and see if that reading dropped or see bubbles in the airlock.

Sometimes refermentation can be very slow that you may not notice. I usually wait a week although you really should wait a month. Using a hydrometer is the only safe way to be sure, as Tom said.

Did the wine have a stable sg before adding any of this? Check the sg now and then check it in a week, if it has not changed you are good to go.

Back