somewhat of anniversay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly boy

Reaction score
Well, it has been a little over a year since I have made my first kit.

During this time, I have bottled 12 kits, there are 10 more to bottle in carboys, and a bunch of kits to get going on.

I agree with many of the recommendations of the year aging process. It does provide a better wine then right out of the carboy.

Great hobby. I think the holiday season at our house is going to be well stocked this year!

Well Happy Anniversary then! What are your favorite kits you have done?
Sounds like you have built up a pretty good stock of carboys to have 10 full and aging! Share your experiences you have gained over the last year with us.

Picking just one kit would be tough. I really like most of the wines. I think the whole process gives anyone a chance to experiencea real variety of wines.

I have finally mastered the auto siphon from the carboys. For some reason that was a little of a trick to learn. There is nothing like it slipping out of your hands and seeing a plume of lees explode from the bottom.

The part I hate most about this is getting the darn bottles ready for bottling. The rest of the process is fun and nothing like the fruits of your labors.

I have tried a strawberry wine from fresh fruit and it tastes better all the time. The blueberries are in the freezer and I have to juice them once the carboys are free.

Aging does wonders on the kits. I have taken the approach of making more than I can (should) consume, and end up with many bottles after a year. Strategy has worked so far.

Great hobby. I think my wife thinks I have lost it.

Fly boy said:
I have finally mastered the auto siphon from the carboys. For some reason that was a little of a trick to learn. There is nothing like it slipping out of your hands and seeing a plume of lees explode from the bottom.

In case you haven't seen it yet, Masta has a tutorial on racking with an auto-siphon that prevents such lees mishaps(or at least makes it a lot less likely to happen). Here is a link to it- check it out!
http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2650

Latest posts

Back