Something near a 2008 Santa Rita Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Reaction score
Is there a kit that might come close to a 2008 Santa Rita Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon?
I'm rather partial to Chilean wines.
There's something to the grapes surviving a major revolution and in my knowing the wonderful people of Chile that makes this wine a specialty to me.
Also love their 120 Carmenere (even though it's a very inexpensive wine here)
I've seen Merlot and a few other Chilean wines but I am quite partial to a Cabernet Sauvignon or the Carmenere.
Paired with some toasted Artisan breads brushed with olive oil , some favorite cheeses and a Clilean fruit salad ... there's not much better on earth ... IMHO.

Dave, If you can wait a few months (until March or April) Chilean juice will be available from suppliers in the US. We get the Chilean juices here in Ohio at that time. I plan to make a few batches and Cabernet Sauvignon is one of my favoirites too. And I have heard so much about Carmenere, that I have to try it.

Here are the descriptions of the wines from my supplier:

Cabernet Sauvignon – rich, intense aromas with deep berry fruits & a smooth lingering finish. From Chile boasts black pepper and berry bouquets.

Carmenere- a deep colored full-bodied, dry and fruity red wine. Aromas of spice, jam, raspberry and dark chocolate with flavors of tobacco and fig.

Last edited:
I don't know how close these will taste to your requests...

RJ Spagnols
Cellar Classic Winery Series Chilean Carmenère
Cru Select Chilean Cabernet/Malbec/Carmenère
En Primeur Chilean Carmenere

Cellar Craft Showcase Chilean Carmenere

Winexpert
Selection International Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon
Selection International Chilean Carmenère

Steve

How much do you want to spend?

Without a doubt one of the best kit wines made to date for me was the Mosti Renaissance Rio Grande Rojo. This bad boy didn't come with a grape pack but you would never know it. Its a blend of Cab, Merlot and Carmenere. Mine is over two years old now and I have ~6 bottles left. Flat out amazing plus I got it on sale for ~$95 back then. If that kit comes out in the new "Impressions" line with a grape pack option look out. As it is right now they do have the same blend in the Meglioli line but it's too steep for my blood (hard to believe, I know) They may have it as well in the Master's line called the "Valle Del Sol" but they are a little cryptic in the contents.

Right now the Renaissance line is on sale at FVW's and if your a member of the growers club you get additional discount on top of that. This blend just screams Chilean from the get go. If you just want a more pure Cab Suav although I have not made it the Renaissance Chilean Cab Suv should be equally as well just as good. I have made a boat load of the Renaissance wines and really never been disappointed with any of them.

This is a great thread for reference.
Thanks for the great suggestions, I'll be checking one to several out down the road. A blend might be great also, I saw a Cellar Craft trio out of Walla Walla that caught my interest as well.
Out of Chile, my thought is to go with a Cab but with some interest in the Carmenere as well.

Thanks all,

Back