First Blackberry Wine ... The Fun has begun!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Reaction score
Hi All,

First off: Thanks for all the encouragement, the wonderful advice, the humor and the absolutely fantastic way that you share your knowledge here!
I'm glad to know that there's more where that came from and I'm sure I'll be willing to add to the mix as I learn the ropes.

It all started around 3:30p Tue Dec 20, 2011

Set up log book (keeping it basic with Date/ Notes/ Type of Wine)

Pulled 4 1/2 lbs of blackberries from freezer to thaw

Cleaned the sink and counter area and mixed up a gallon of Kmeta solution

Washed and sterilized everything, using the Primary as a sort of sterilizing sink

Put equipment on the bucket lid to drain and dry and poured the Kmeta solution into a spray bottle and the rest into an old enamel canning pan with glass lid, where I'll keep equipment sterilized overnight

Put a 5 gal mesh bag into the Primary

Boiled 6 pints of water and added it to the berries.

Crushed berries by hand for around 20 minutes, squeezing juice from mesh bag and tying top of bag with sterilized string. (Bag left in Primary)

Added all additives except sugar and yeast. (Campden added at 4:15p)

Took Specific Gravity of must (1.014)

Heated 1 pint of water and added 7 1/2 cups of white cane sugar

Added sugar mix a bit at a time, constantly squeezing and mixing, until I reached a Specific Gravity of 1.090

Stirred Primary well, covered and set aside for 24 hrs.

Well, that wasn't too bad ... except things were getting very sticky with all that sugar. I had to add quite a bit more sugar than I though I would to get to the 1.090 mark.
Next, I cleaned things up, spraying equipment with Kmeta solution after cleaning (Trying to get into a habit of using Kmeta before and after use of equipment).

Cleaned up the kitchen to keep the wife happy.

Kicked back with a bottle of Santa Rita, "120" Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 (I happen to enjoy inexpensive Chilean wine).
I think this afternoon went well, my log book officially is stained and watermarked from my first gallon batch.

I'll be fermenting tomorrow ... just about the time you read this ... 5-10 days and I'll do my first rack ... (looking for 1.020 ?)

Note: I'm looking for a fairly high alcohol content (13.5 -15) so that's why the 1.090 S.G. to start, I'll calculate to see if I need to bump that up during fermentation or not.
(We have the technology!) ... just don't forget to buy a little extra sugar for your project ... I had to go down to the store (in the middle of my first batch project) to get 5 lbs (and to be honest, two bottles of '120' Cab ...). It's the "opps" moment of my first batch. (so much for planning ... haha)

Life is good!

Last edited:
My only 'peeve'..... Adding all the additives at once.. What additives?

In particular, your pectic enzyme needs time to work before you add the K-Meta.

"Normal practice" (if there is such a thing) is to add the K-Meta, give it 12hrs +/- to dissipate some, then add pectic enzyme, give that 12 hrs +/- to work, then add your yeast packet/starter.

Other than that, for a first batch, it seems like you're headed in the right direction. And keeping in mind that you manually pressed the fruit already, it will aid in flavor and color where/if the pectic enzyme lacked at all.

:br

The primary awaits the Yeast

Tomorrow morning:
Stir primary
Check SG
Adjust for 1.090

Begin Yeast Starter:
Add 1 cup must
Add warm (100 F water (approx 1/4 cup)
Add (1 tsp) citric juice (lemon)
Add 1/4 tsp nutrient

In several hours, add starter to primary

Add any additional nutrient required

Squeeze nylon bag and stir well

Cover (lid loosely placed, but sealed)

Insert airlock (Use Kmeta solution in airlock)

Wait 5 days except for stirring twice per day

Last edited:
Doh ...

Thanks Manley,

Additives:
1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1/4 tsp Acid Blend
1 Campden Tablet

1 gallon batch

* Rookie mistake, should add Pectic Enzyme (+-) 12 hrs after Kmeta

(If I get the haze, I'll know why).

Last edited:
Pectic enzyme doesnt work well with K-meta, and doesnt work at all in the presence of a fermentation. But if you do indeed have a haze later on down the road when its mostly-clear - it is safe to add pectic enzyme at that time as well & should rid you of the problem.

Just thought i'd point it out for your notes is all.. I know my notes on my first few batches - well, i had to rewrite them.. A few times :)

Oh! Curious minds want to know... What yeast? I went with wild yeast on my blackberry batch (5 gallons ~ 55lbs of berries, no water) but it isn't something I'd recommend for your first batch.

it is safe to add pectic enzyme at that time as well & should rid you of the problem

Now that's a great thing to hear ... I might still get away with making a tasty wine yet ... Thanks Deezil

... oh, the yeast is Red Star "Premier Cuvee"... I thought it might be more tolerant of the beginner yet yield a higher alcohol content (12.5 - 15%).

Oh! Curious minds want to know... What yeast? I went with wild yeast on my blackberry batch (5 gallons ~ 55lbs of berries, no water) but it isn't something I'd recommend for your first batch.

That's a lot of blackberry pickin'!
I'll be there this summer ... ladder section, buckets and all ...

Dont the grape guys add Pectinase and KMeta during crush? Supposedly modern pectinases work in KMeta. We put in everything except the yeast in our fruit wines, including KMeta and pectinase and they come out nice and clear. Crackedcork

Pectic enzyme doesnt work well with K-meta, and doesnt work at all in the presence of a fermentation. But if you do indeed have a haze later on down the road when its mostly-clear - it is safe to add pectic enzyme at that time as well & should rid you of the problem.

Just thought i'd point it out for your notes is all.. I know my notes on my first few batches - well, i had to rewrite them.. A few times :)

A clean towel is better than a loose lid to cover your primary, you are just trying to keep bugs out now but let the must breath. In your previous notes you planned and putting it under airlock soon?, instead use your hydrometer to tell you when to transfer to your glass carboy and put it under an airlock. Good luck, as someone said before, you is already hooked. Start making plans where you are going to store your empty carboys, dont forget to make your wifes favorite wine before you go on out and get a crusher etc, its worth the carboy space. Crackedcork

Hey CC,

I'm thinking a soothing pear, dessert wine, next summer for the wife, a semi-sweet white wine that is fairly high in alcohol content (perhaps 14%) and carries an cool earthtone along with a warm ray of sunshine.

FYI: I'm working on my wine taste descriptions ... not quite there yet ... :)

I'll give it some air ... 02

I will go along with Cracked Cork, use a towel over the primary. I usually put a tea towel on then set the lid on top of that. Going to have to do it that way, the wife got a new kitten, havn't fermented anything since he has been around, but know it will take a solid lid to keep him out. Arne.

A clean towel is better than a loose lid to cover your primary, you are just trying to keep bugs out now but let the must breath. In your previous notes you planned and putting it under airlock soon?, instead use your hydrometer to tell you when to transfer to your glass carboy and put it under an airlock. Good luck, as someone said before, you is already hooked. Start making plans where you are going to store your empty carboys, dont forget to make your wifes favorite wine before you go on out and get a crusher etc, its worth the carboy space. Crackedcork

Empty Carboy???? What's that?? LOL

Latest posts

Back