something floating

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linuxbgood

Junior
Reaction score
My pear wine has something floating on the top of it in the carboy, this wine has been aging since fall. Im attaching a picture, but its whitish and like small spaghetti

001.jpg

Hmm..
I would rack it and then taste it. How many times have you racked? Did you add stabilizer? Looks like zest?

I re racked it and tried it, it seems to taste ok, but now I have white stuff floating in it, I hope it settles to the bottom and not the top.

If it all floats to the top is not all bad. Rack from the bottom until the floaties are close and then quit. Rack the rest of it into a smaller jug/bottle and rack that again in a few days.

Did you add the k-meta in as recommended?

That floaty stuff wasn't moving around was it?

I have never seen anything that looks like that. Is it ONLY on the top? or is there something going on with the rest of the wine also?

easy solution...take a double barrel and fire right down the neck of the carboy
do this outside...wear safety glasses and gloves...jeans and boots because there will be some glass and shrapnel...the stuff will be all gone...you may lose some wine too ;)

wouldn't it be easier well maybe not easier but wouldn't it be better to just dump it at least he'd save the carboy

Sounds or should I say looks like lactic acid bacteria to me. It can be saved.

Pour the wine into a primary bucket and mix the wine into a frothiness. Add two crushed Campden tablets per gallon of wine and stir these. I use a degassing tool. Cover with a sterile cloth and stir the wine every hour or so for about four to six hours. Return it to a sterile secondary and fit it with an airlock. After four days, run the wine through a wine filter and return it to another sterile secondary. re rack in two weeks if see any oily film on top of it.

I re racked it and tried it, it seems to taste ok, but now I have white stuff floating in it, I hope it settles to the bottom and not the top.

So now the little squiggly things are growing your stomach? Nice!:ts

Did you use k-meta or campden and have you kept up with it while racking? What was the initial and final gravity? That looks nasty!

Latest posts

Back