Solid Bung concerns

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy123

Reaction score
I had read a post where a vinter put a solid bung in a carboy taped it down and bulk aged his wine. After a time he found the jug leaking and discovered a crack. He blamed the crack on pressure caused by temperature change. I was bulk aging some peach wine with a solid bung for a few months. Yesterday became bottling day and when I pulled on the bung it launched out of the carboy under pressure. my cellar temp changes little over the seasons so I'm guessing the wine gassed out in some fashion. Based on this event I will be using only airlocks for bulk aging from here out.:ib

Good thing it didn't pop out when you weren't around. I still use solid bungs, but I check them regularly. I also have some bulk aging under air lock.

There is some research that says one can loose some of the wines aroma when an air lock is applied. I have used both solid and air locked for over a year and never really saw any adverse affect. Of course the only true way to know would be to have two identical batches, one with air lock, one without. However, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Another concern is when the atmospheric pressure and/or temperature changes such that the solution in the air lock is drawn down into the wine. This is why I always use the S-shaped air lock for bulk aging. It is less likely to have this happen.

Another little trick is to put the solid bung in, then twist it until it won't twist anymore. Always make sure the bung and the carboy opening are completely dry.

Latest posts

Back