Other Soap or Bananas: What is this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clifton

Reaction score
I made my second batch of Vino Italiano Zinfandel Blush. I wanted more body than I got with my first attempt so I followed the recommendation of adding bananas. I added a little over 1 pound (6 bananas) to primary. I transferred to secondary at 1.012 and left it until the gravity was steady at 0.990 for a few days. I just transferred again yesterday and added Kmeta, sorbate, kieselsol, and Chitosan.

I had just transferred a Scotch ale from the carboy and gave it a quick clean with some dish soap and sanitized with Iodophor. While degassing the foam never subsided. I tasted the sample and it tasted like lemon soap to me. It coated my tongue with a slick sensation. I was sure that I had screwed up this entire batch so I gave a sample to my wife. She said that she did not taste soap.

Maybe this is all in my head. I sure hope so. After thinking about it I remember that smoothies made with banana have the same foamy top and slick sensation. I'm planning on back sweetening, clarifying, and bottling. I just wanted to post here for some reassurance.

If anyone has any experience with using bananas for body and has seen what is in my pictures I would really like your feedback. If you think I made a huge mistake by using dish soap and not rinsing well enough (I thought I rinsed well), please be civil.
Picture one
Picture two

Last edited:
I would never use soap to clean avything touching your wine. For cleaning there are many but Ii use the "oxy" cleaner

I use a little soap to wash my equipment, bottles, etc - just make sure you rinse them well. I have never had an issue.

grapeman, thanks for the welcome. I figured I would be unable to post pictures but tried anyway. I've been active on HBT for a while but there seems to be quite a bit more wine info here than in their wine sub-forum.

I would never use soap to clean avything touching your wine. For cleaning there are many but Ii use the "oxy" cleaner

I agree with Tom...never use soap for anything. Use the sulphites and a brush.

As for bananas, I think you're using too many of them.
Long ago, I used to use a banana for, say, Cabernet Sauvignon (23L kit). I'd take between a half to a full single banana and crush it into pulp, then microwave it for 30 seconds to kill any nasties, then into the primary on Day 1...not transferring any banana residue to the secondary.

I found that the addition of a small amount of banana did 2 things..first there was only the slightest hint of taste. Those who tried tasting the wine could not guess at that taste until told. Then they'd say 'Ah yes...banana'.

Secondly the texture of the wine was altered. I found that the addition of banana gave the wine a slightly shimmering, velvety surface. Quite nice.

I agree with the velvety comment. It sorta coats the tongue.

I'm going to back sweeten today. One the first batch I made a simple syrup to sweeten. I was thinking this time about taking one of the bottles from the first batch and dissolving the sugar in it so I top up and sweeten without thinning the wine out.

I also edited the first post with links to the pictures.

I would have to say looking at the photos you are fine. I have 5 gallons of Banana wine going right now, and it looks soapy when I degassed it.

Latest posts

Back