So2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakes4moose

Junior
Reaction score
I have been reviewing info regarding SO2 on this forum. To this point I have not measured SO2 levels in my wine. I just purchased titrets to give it a try until I can afford to buy something more accurate.

My current practice (no testing) involves using campden prior to fermentation as per recipes and adding one campden per gallon every other racking thereafter. During bottling, I fill and empty every wine bottle with my sanitizing strength metabisulfate solution prior to filling. As i grab each bottle to fill I dump what little collects in the bottom and then fill and cork. I read about this procedure in some wine book and it seems fine. I have wines 3+ yrs old now and they taste fine, but was hoping to get some opinions on this method.

Also, what does too high of SO2 do to the wine, is it just taste?

Hope to purchase a better method of testing, but until then...........

Thanks

Cody

You should be fine. Take a good titrate reading for awhile to see where you are in the end. Adjust if necessary.

Too much will give your wine a chemical smell when you pop the cork. It would have to be airated a bit.

Every other racking is a -very- common practice. I'm sure you're fine.

I had quite a few batches in carboys when I got my A/O setup. When I tested them I found zero big surprises.

If you bulk age for long periods then this is really where you need this stuff as youll either typically be way over or way under.

Wade E said:
If you bulk age for long periods then this is really where you need this stuff as youll either typically be way over or way under.

Wade, can you define long for a novice. I really don't know if you are talking 6 months or 6 years.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back