So2 tolerance for 71b and ec1118

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porkchopmessiah

Reaction score
So, I just started my yearly batch of strawberry wine and have a non starting fermentation with 71b and am in the process of making a starter with ec1118.

Temp of the must is 70, ph is3.8
So I took the opportunity to play with my vinmetric, I'm coming up with 25 ppm free so2....which seems high....
Any ideas at what point so2 inhibits the yeast? And the differences in tolerances between yeasts?

So, I just started my yearly batch of strawberry wine and have a non starting fermentation with 71b and am in the process of making a starter with ec1118.

Temp of the must is 70, ph is3.8
So I took the opportunity to play with my vinmetric, I'm coming up with 25 ppm free so2....which seems high....
Any ideas at what point so2 inhibits the yeast? And the differences in tolerances between yeasts?

Most commercial yeasts are SO2 tolerant, and I suspect than if someMLB can handle 50 ppm, that 25 is a breeze for yeast. How long since you pitched 71B?

Yesterday was 72 hrs, I did the started and this morning I have inch thick cap....possibly just slow?

I made my starter in a qt mason jar and gradually added more of the stuck must through the day till I have about 2 gall, then added bad into the barrel (about 12 to 15 gal) and today it's off and running....so all good

You have a 2 gallon Mason jar? Nice! I have a stuck strawberry/blueberry. My supply store only had 1 pack of 1118, I used the same at the beginning, and just sprinkled it in (as usual). Now I plan to make a starter for my 3 gal. batch. I guess I should use 1/2 cup 100 degree water. How much sugar should I add to the water? After I pitch, should I be adding some juice to it, to acclimate the yeast?

Heres the real story: I have a batch that I fermented, and I wanted to back-sweeten it. Stupidly, I started adding sugar, but was looking at 1.090, where I start at! I said to myself, 'this is a lot of sugar', the SG should be moving up faster'. I then smacked myself in the forehead, and said 'You @$$#*!&'! SG is 1.035 now, any advice for me, or is blending the best option?

Last edited:
Well it's too late to adjust it now but a pH of 3.8 is definitely on the high side for most fruit wines. Most folks seem to prefer the starting pH to be somewhere between 3.4 and 3.8. Check your SG frequently to make sure it really is dropping.

Well it's too late to adjust it now but a pH of 3.8 is definitely on the high side for most fruit wines. Most folks seem to prefer the starting pH to be somewhere between 3.4 and 3.8. Check your SG frequently to make sure it really is dropping.
I was hoping to hear from u, ur my goto for good info...

Compared to a LARGE number of the members you'll hear from on here, I'm still a rank beginner. (Started in 2015) My only niche is that I only do fruit wines, no grape based wines.
Still nice to hear good words though.

Compared to a LARGE number of the members you'll hear from on here, I'm still a rank beginner. (Started in 2015) My only niche is that I only do fruit wines, no grape based wines.
Still nice to hear good words though.
i've never made a kit, never made any grape of any type, 110% fruit and berry, 99% from scratch, , 1 % from fruit or berry juice, any mighty dang proud of that fact,, way to go scooter68,,,,
Dawg

Back