SO2 tester

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I've got eight carboys bulk aging and one oak barrel full of wine. I've only made kits wines from George the last year. I preordered ten more kits. I plan to make a mead this summer. Do I need a SO2 tester? Why? What else does it do? If I buy one, I want a pretty good one. I had rather spend the money on a good one rather than upgrading down the road. Which one do y'all have and which one would you want?
What other testers would I also need? Someday I plan on answering other people (easy) questions.
Thanks,
John

I have the very expensive Hanna S02 tester and it works great but if I could do it over again Id go with the new Vinmetrica 300 as it does S02, ph, and Ta all in one unit for about 1/2 the price of my unit. The Acuvin tests will get you within about 20 ppm on S02 and thats a pretty big swing so not really worth it IMO. The A0 test set up that a few other retailers sell work great but take about 45 minutes to do and take up some room and I think may require a little science background? Here is a link to a few videos for some of the equipment George sells. The other stuff you can easily look up on Youtube.
http://forum.finevinewines.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11155&title=youtube-videos-for-wine-testing

The cost for the Vinmetrica 300 is pretty steep, but if you are going to make as many wines has you have been up until now, it would be well worth it to take the plunge and get one and get that expense behind you. Those measurements are so important for quality wine making.

If your making kits you really only need the Vinmetrica 100 which is just an S02 tester. If you plan on getting into fruit and grape wines Then id go the 300.

I own the Vinemetrica 100. I love it and it's very easy to use. If the 300 was available at the time I bought mine, I probably would have got it.

I to talked to George's store. They might start carrying Vinemetrica products. I'll wait until they do. Does anyone have problems logging on?</span>
<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"></span>

I would think that if you are making kits exclusively and not tweaking them any then therotically you should not need a tester at all unless you just want to play around with one to get the feel of it.

The difference is he bought a small barrel and is starting to run them through it now. A barrel will drop the SO2 from 40ppm down to ~10ppm in 3 months time so once it comes out of the barrel it is important to analyze your SO2 levels and bump them back up in order to protect the wine long term.

I'll add 1/4 tsp after this barrel rotation and maybe George will have a tester by then. Waldo, I still want to come by and share samples.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

Back