SO2 over 50ppm after 4 months

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pecka

Reaction score
My pinor noir has been aging for a little over a year now. I just tested the SO2 after 4 months and it shows at or above 50ppm still. I dont see how this is possible since its been 4 months since I added anything to it. is it possible my Accuvin test kit is old (2.5 years) and giving false readings?

Accuvin test are not very accurate to begin with and I would certainly not trust a 2.5yr old test kit. If this has been stored in glass and properly topped up the entire time and you have added a top up dose of sulfite every 3-4 months then it should still be at a decent level. The only real accurate way to test for sulfites is with the Vinemetrica analyzer (one of our sponsors) or via an A/O analysis. Accuvin's test kits are like throwing darts at a dart board IMHO.

Everything Mike said!!! Throw away the Accuvin tests. Are you using Winemakers Magazine to determine what your S02 should be? It's the easiest way to determine based off your ph. You will still need an accurate reading of your current s02 to determine your next step. Even at 50 ppm you may be in line.

When Accuvin is fresh it can be off by as much as 20 ppm, 2.5 years old who nows how far it can be off by.

Latest posts

Back