SO2 levels for bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky

Reaction score
Hello everyone, for all the people on the eastcoast,i hope Sandy blows by with no harm to anything.....ok so2 levels....measured in ppm...i have a tester( vinmetrica sc100a)..never used it yet..i test my aging carboy....what numbers do i want?...and how to maintain them #`s.... i seen a spreadsheet somewhere.... didn`t understand it.....what`s the number?

This link explains SO2 in as simple of terms as I've seen. There is no set number. The amount needed depends on pH and a few other things.

Thanks SBWs, great link, i`m learning that so2 is related to ph....but George at FVW and others say you shouldn`t take ph reading on kits ?already balanced?.....so basing all on that 1/4 tsp...raises or adds 25ppm for 5 gallons.....and 0.8 ppm is the level to maintain? i just checked my WS super tuscan at 1 month bulk aging..it read 62 ppm.( i was i little worried because i whipped the crap out of it for about 5 minutes degassing with a drill bit...then i vacuumed pumped it to the new carboy)...it`s sitting on some fine lees and want to arrange a racking with k-meta adding.....trying to find out how long i can keep it on the lees before racking off....i`m turning into to a mad scientist!!

As you can see the amount of SO2 required to protect a wine is based solely on the wines pH. Without knowing the wines pH you can't properly add the needed amount of sulfite, you can only guess at what you need. If you blindly add sulfite every 3 months in bulk aging I can almost guarantee you your over sulfiting your wine. This is where tools like pH meters and SO2 testers become invaluable tools.

Thanks ibglowin,understood, why do they say ...don`t check,or no need to check PH in kits

You don't need to acid adjust a kit, its been balanced for you. If you bottle fast you don't need any extra sulfite, if you bulk age you may need to add more sulfite depending on how long you bulk age, the wine type (red or white) and lastly pH.

Back