New Formulation of KMeta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
While I was picking up my grapes yesterday, I had a long talk with Kevin Mooney of Harford Vineyard and Winery. He mentioned that there is a newer formulation of KMeta powder and that the older one, while it may still smell potent, loses its potency rather rapidly over time. Obviously, if you're measuring your SO2, you're aware of what your levels are. If not, and you're going simply by the 1/4 teaspoon every X months, you may be undershooting your levels and exposing yourself to potential oxidation and VA. He used to by a 50lb bag about once a year for the winery but noticed that his additions were not producing the expected result. This newer formulation apparently does not lose its potency like the older version, but he know orders smaller amounts KMeta every few months, rather than a bulk order annually. It's a little more expensive, but cheap insurance as far as he is concerned.

Looking back, many of you know I had significant issues with my 2016 Chilean wines. Recently, I'm starting to think it was VA. At one or two points during the 'lives' of those wines, the measured free SO2 was significantly lower than I thought it would be - single digits where I expected high 20's or low 30's. This could be due to a number of things, but old Kmeta is certainly possible. I was buying about a pound once a year (or less often). When I mixed it up, it still smelled quite potent, but apparently it wasn't.

Just some food for though. If you've got older KMeta sitting around, it might be a good idea to replace it, or at least make sure you measure free SO2 in your wines to be sure you're adding as much as you think.

While I was picking up my grapes yesterday, I had a long talk with Kevin Mooney of Harford Vineyard and Winery. He mentioned that there is a newer formulation of KMeta powder and that the older one, while it may still smell potent, loses its potency rather rapidly over time.

Any actual proof of this claim? After all, K2S2O5 is always K2S2O5 and hard to change such basic chemistry.

I tend to just call such "just so" stories, and remain skeptical, until I see some proof.

I did not get into specifics with him of what the change is or how he was made aware of it. Either way, as with many of our supplies, we should make sure what we are using is not 'stale'. I intend to do a little research to see if I can learn more.

Interesting. Any ideas on what retailer would have the highest likelihood of carrying the new type? I'm guessing someplace with high turnover. I see Labelpeelers has two entries for each size. I wonder if they are "old" and "new", and if so, which is which.

Latest posts

Back