SO2 in must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qyhcat

Reaction score
Im getting ready to do my first frozen must batch but need some clarification on the addition of SO2 once thawed...

Do I add the power to the must directly or should I mix with water first?

thanks

technically you do not add So2 to must, you add potassium metabisulphite (Kmet) which forms so2 It is typically done before the yeast is added, It is used as a sterilent for the must, to inhibit growth of wild yeast, most of the SO2 formed is attached to o2 and other compounds what is free is off gassed fairly rapidly. so the SO2 is gone long before fermentation is completed. once the ferment is done kmet is added to the wine so the associated SO2 will protect it. Start off with 1/4 tsp. of kmet to 6 gallons of must. just add the powder and stir. then pitch yeast next day.

Tenbears is right on. Put in the k-meta, wait about 12 hrs or so, add pectic enzyme (helps break the fruit down), wait another 12 hours or so add any other ingredients, bring your s.g. up to 1.085 or somewhere in that vicinity and pitch your yeast. Good luck with it, Arne.

Back