So this happened.........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SWMBO calls this AM and says she had a little excitement last night around 10PM. We have a drop ceiling in the kitchen with 4 of the 48" neon lights. She was puttering around and heard a loud pop! Looks like we lost a ballast in one of the lights. She said it looks like a giant packrat exploded or something. She also says I can't leave her ever again..... LOL

20151019_091256.jpg

20151019_091318.jpg

20151019_091322.jpg

New fixture or new ballast at a minimum and more than likely a new light cover. Wonder what is inside those ballast these days.......

The good thing is the ballasts are fairly easy to replace. We changed about 100 of them at our church last year in the cellar banquet hall. As far as the light cover, that may be a different story, may end up replacing all of them so they match unless that is still available.

Those really do smell when they go bad...we get called for that quite often with the VFD.

Fortunately the light panel contained it. This could have been serious, just think if you had a couple batches in primary beneath that light and it exploded :) :rn

I'm glad no one was hurt and there wasn't a fire.

Fortunately the light panel contained it. This could have been serious, just think if you had a couple batches in primary beneath that light and it exploded :) :rn

I'm glad no one was hurt and there wasn't a fire.

I wonder if mercury contamination is an issue? I know that they put some in those florescent lights (or at least they used to).

whats inside new ballasts isn't much just a small electronic circuit board. a lot of ballast makers add a block of metal inside just to make the ballast seem heavy and solid. like the old ones. If your going to replace the fixture buy one with t5 bulbs way more light output with minimal power useage.

Headed back today. Told SWMBO just to leave it until I get home tonight. I have to stop at Costco and get gas and a few things in ABQ and the Big Orange Box is right next door so may pop in and pick up a couple of new fixtures. I will check into the t5 ones if I can find an actual human being to help me!

Latest posts

Back