So many yeast, so little time.......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1st load of grapes are coming tomorrow!

Working with a club out of Denver this year. Small vineyard in the Lodi region that the club has used for years and has been happy with the fruit so I am giving them a go this year. Fingers crossed that the fruit is excellent quality. If you can't grow good fruit this year you have some problems I think.

Looking for anyone who has advise on some of these yeast I have in my toolbox but have not used before.

I am getting:

6 lugs Of Cab Sauv
6 lugs of Syrah
6 lugs of Petit Syrah
6 lugs of Zinfandel

The Cab Sauv and Syrah are coming this week, the Zin and Petit Syrah next week.

I have on hand:

BDX
D254
D80
D21
RP15
SYR
GRE
RC212

I used BDX and D254 on last years crush.

The BDX turned out good but the D254 was hands down my favorite of the two flavor wise. I will blend them back together this Winter and bottle but other than the D254 for the Cab Sauv I am still trying to figure out what to use on the others

I am thinking RP15 on the Zin for sure (one primary) but still leaves the other open......

SYR for the Syrah on one primary but unsure on the other.......

Petit Syrah, not sure on either really....

Anyone with hands on experience with some of these I have on hand but not used before I would appreciate your input on how things turned out for you.

The only one i have worked with is the RC212 - I used that on my Pinot Noir.

I am happy the way that yeast worked.

I have enough primaries to do 2 batches (of each varietal) separately and then blend back together when the time comes.

You have 8 different yeasts on hand??!! If even if it is possible for you to use all of them, would it be wise? And will they still be viable next time around?

They are good for a year minimum, longer if you freeze them. They are sealed as usual. I always rehydrate my yeast before hand with GoFerm so you know in 10 minutes if they are viable or not. They are so cheap its nice to have an assortment on hand.

Back