So HILARIOUS on SO MANY levels!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
RAINSVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Sheriff’s officials say they’ve busted an illegal winery that was operating at a municipal sewage plant in a small north Alabama town.

The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement it received an anonymous tip about an alcohol operation at a municipal building in the town of Rainsville on Thursday. Investigators then uncovered what’s described as a large illegal winery inside the Rainsville Waste Water Treatment Plant.

Full story...

https://apnews.com/article/alabama-illegal-winery-busted-sewage-90df58246b706d797d4a80a162f8b1ac

I wanted to give your post an emoji of some sort, but was torn between Thumbs up (for the illegal part), laughing (at so little being called illegal), angry (at the stupidity of so little being called illegal), and a wow, just wow. I'm so torn. I wonder about the taste of it after fermenting/aging at the sewage plant??

JFC. This is ridiculous. I see they are using the term “winery” very loosely lol. This looks more like a WMT member just decided to take advantage of some amenities at their workplace and got snitched on
But to say “the biggest illegal operation in the state”......... —— yeah? .....Really Alabama?! That’s the story we’re goin with?
And “Arrests are expected” ??? Because it’s “A LOT of alcohol” lol
They tried hard to make this something it isn’t. Like they took down Al Capone’s empire or something instead of a few carboys

F2C4A5EB-7FF6-472B-8A20-5C2AFD5A0A49.jpeg16B6E183-9FB7-4B70-A16F-840469798C45.jpeg
this pic above in the parking lot is the entire haul. Possibly “the biggest illegal operation the state has ever seen”.😑

CD3D5118-9F45-468F-A605-7B0420C9E038.jpegD95215AE-946F-4B2D-9CFE-F71B4758BC2B.jpeg59BBF1EB-D762-4270-AB04-A3D1139AFD00.jpeg

F9C88A34-BB46-4A2C-8FBE-62846617D1D6.jpeg
Wtf. F Alabama! Update your ridiculous laws. There was no mention of $$ or sales whatsoever. And you can bet your ass if they had labels on the bottles and were selling them those photos would be in there.
The funny ‘waste plant’ aspect is actually the least intriguing part to me. I’m calling BS. I need to talk to this snitch. This story got me triggered proper.

And also- Alabama is the worst! sorry not sorry D29025F1-49FF-4F14-98DD-BF2F7ECF6DCB.jpeg

@hounddawg don’t worry. Just sit tight. we’re gonna spring u out the pokey and make things right. 😁

Last edited:
He made the mistake of using government property for this activity. Alabama was one of the last 2 states to adopt Jimmy Carter's law, which also leaves it up to the states to manage the particulars of the law. Here in Ohio, we have a limit of 200 gallons per year. Alabama has adopted a less liberal stance and only allows 15. Moral of the story: Know your state laws and don't do it on public property..

Did anyone notice in the last picture, there appears to be some sort of plant hanging to dry? Wonder what it is? It's not hops as I grow it and know it readily. I also dry peppers at the end of each season by cutting the plant and hanging it upside down until the peppers dry (only for thin meat varieties) and it doesn't look like those either. The same can be done with various herbs, but I don't recognize the plant.

I've got probably 5-6 times more carboys than that with various wine beer and cider. I've also got cases of empty bottles and jugs, and about 20 empty kegs, clearly "evidence of distribution". The Sheriff would put himself in for cop of the year if he "busted" my "operation".

Funny-most here would have more stuff than that. It's a home wine making operation and maybe a club thing at that place of work. My prediction, this goes no where and in the end apologies will be offered.

It will go somewhere. He's fired, for sure, and there will be charges. Alabama is also strict about people buying alcohol in Tennessee and transporting it across lines. 67 counties, 3 totally dry, 23 are partially dry (they contain cities that have voted to allow alcohol sales).

Last edited:
He must have had an @Ajmassa experience, he's got the fruit fly insecticide traps hanging all around there.
“Hey look, your house had the same fly issue as the wine guys from the doodie-plant.” 💩 Not sure how I feel about that. Lol

Flies were real bad this year in September. Whole neighborhood was complaining. Even a bowl of apples on the counter would attract a ton. Those traps work great. Technically not supposed to hang in living areas b/c ‘poison n stuff’- and NJ even restricts shipping of the BarPro brand— that’s how you know it’s good! (HotShot brand is same active ingredient and % yet not restricted). And if they are good enough for wine made in a waste management plant in rural Alabama then the theyre good enough for me!

early fall ferments are becoming to be too much stress. I’m gonna have to rethink my whole setup or hold off till later since the late October ferment went great.

RAINSVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Sheriff’s officials say they’ve busted an illegal winery that was operating at a municipal sewage plant in a small north Alabama town.

The DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement it received an anonymous tip about an alcohol operation at a municipal building in the town of Rainsville on Thursday. Investigators then uncovered what’s described as a large illegal winery inside the Rainsville Waste Water Treatment Plant.

Full story...

https://apnews.com/article/alabama-illegal-winery-busted-sewage-90df58246b706d797d4a80a162f8b1ac

Smells to me that a sheriff is looking for votes. He is tough on "crime".

Back