Snow in CT!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
Woke up around 5:15 AM to look out and see about 6" of snow. It is now around 7:45 and I;d say were closing in on about 8". Weather.com weather maps has the snow/winter mix tapering off around noon. Wouldn't mind so much if the snow were light but this stuff looks like wet heavy snow. My driveway is just short of 700' and includes a pretty big apron in front of the garage. I do my own snow removal using a snow blower. Now 70 years old and getting really tired of and challenged by these heavy snow storms. With driveway, stairs decks, mail box, cars etc. to deal with it is generally around 3-4 hours work to dig out from a snow storm like this. Hopefully my son will be able to help before he needs to leave for work this afternoon.

On the plus side I've got my RJS VdV Riesling kit to work on today. It should be ready for stabilization, degassing and fining. SG was @ 0.998 several days ago so even if it is just point or two lower I'm moving it to the next phase.

Take care!

I sold my snowblower and bought a used atv with a plow. Now I get excited when it snows

Bill I feel your pain with the heavy wet snow. I also use a large walk behind blower but my driveway (double wide) is only about 70'. It takes 4x as long with the heavy wet snow with a blower. I would never use a plow. With 160" on an average winter we would get snow bound in no time.

Plowing is faster but blowers, I think, do a cleaner job. When you get a lot of snow for the season where to plow it to can become an issue; our town doesn't allow you to plow any snow into the road even if you clean up. However, the town plowing snow into your driveway is okay. :?

Be safe fellows. I don't want to be reading any posts about heart attacks.

Raining here but it will not leave anything behind to clean up. Bill, It sounds like the south is beckoning you. We moved to the upstate of South Carolina in 08 from Maine and never looked back. We return for a month in August.

Terry

Raining here but it will not leave anything behind to clean up. Bill, It sounds like the south is beckoning you. We moved to the upstate of South Carolina in 08 from Maine and never looked back. We return for a month in August.

Terry

I'd do it but my wife wouldn't unless there were family there. As a Marine I did some duty both in SC & NC. Loved the area but only familiar with the coastal areas; don't remember traveling much inland of either State.

Driveway mostly done but took a break for lunch and a little computer time before heading out again. Blower was throwing the snow about 15' so the driveway itself is going well but the apron in front of the garage is still a challenge.

Origninally from S. Fl. always wished for the change in seasons, falling snow while a fire is on.....
20yrs later asking why?:snw
After last years storms I asked the ex if she wouldn't mind if I took the snowblower, so glad I did.
We don't have a long driveway, but makes life so easy! And yes, if/when I can looking to make the move south.

Thanks,
Steve

Just finished watching the weather. I live in the Boston area and the weatherman said it's going to be a blockbuster. We could get up to 20 inches between Monday and Wednesday. Possible winds of 50-60 miles per hour. Bakervinyard

Just finished watching the weather. I live in the Boston area and the weatherman said it's going to be a blockbuster. We could get up to 20 inches between Monday and Wednesday. Possible winds of 50-60 miles per hour. Bakervinyard

weather.com has Southbury, CT where I live getting 3-5". Temp is predicted to be in the low twenties so it should be a "dry" snow. The wind, depending how it is blowing (direction? gusting?) can be a plus or a minus with respect to snowblowing.

If the snow is light enough and I can get out enough times I can push it off with my "SnowPusherLite" 38" push snow shovel. I'll often just use the 38" pusher to keep my garage apron clean and then hit the driveway with the blower after the snow stops.

compare_v2_38.jpg

Last edited:
So, just finished listening to a local forecast... 15-30" in CT and 40-50-60 mph wind gusts depending on the final track of the storm and where in CT you live. Starting tomorrow and ending Wednesday.

Praying that we (all of us in CT) don't loose power and that those, like my son, who's job requires them to be out or commute during the storm are kept out of harms way.

Woke up about 20 minutes ago (~2AM) to the sound of some howling wind gusts. Decided to look out and was somewhat surprised to see, I'm guessing now, only about 6-8". However did the weather map thing before coming to WMT to read and maybe post some and it looks like the worst is still to come. Might stay under 2' here where I am in CT which because of the snow being dry wouldn't be to much of a hassle to deal with if it weren't for the high gusting winds. Well, back to bed for now and take a swipe at the driveway later this morning while I have some daylight.

Well, here in Westchester (just south of the CT line), it's a lot of fuss over not much. Politicians and the media ... that's where the real "storm" was. I suppose it's good for hardware and grocery stores. I would be getting ready to drive to work, except our idiot Governor has imposed a "travel ban" that includes this County.

Well, at least it's purdy....

Latest posts

Back