smaller vessel clearing quicker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appleweld

Reaction score
when i made a batch of pear last year, i racked from a 6 gal to a 5 gal, and put the rest in a 1 gal. the 1 gal cleared in half the time. i thought mabey i got more sediment in the big carboy.
i recently racked a batch of strawberry in two 1 gal carboys, and the rest in a 1/2 gal. its only been 2 weeks and the half is almost transparent, and theres little change in the others. so am i right to conclude that the smaller vessel clears faster?, or is this just a freak event?

I get the same thing.... It might be partially that the smaller vessels have less distance to see through (if that makes any sense). But I do have the same thing happening.

When we rack and end up with some in a smaller vessel, it's usually the bottom of what we're racking, and I can't say that ours clear faster. (That was a long sentence.)

i agree, the last carboy/container filled would typically take longer as it was closer to the bottom of the initial container...my experiences corroborates this

and i agree smaller vessels clear faster.....all things being equal as far as what was initially entered into the container

Latest posts

Back