WineXpert Slow going

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
Well I am on day 7 of primary fermentation and my SG is still too high on my Pinot Grigio. At start it was 1.082, day 5 was 1.03, and today is 1.02. The next chance I get to rack will be Thursday. I hope it will be at the required 1.010 by then. The only thing I can think of to explain the slow fermentation is that it is a little cold in NJ right now and we are struggling to keep the room temp above 68. It is OK to wait a few more days right??

Hi cindy. I'm also in NJ. I started a VR Riesling Feb. 28. Starting S.G. 1.081 On day 6 the S.G. was 1.029. The next day it was 1.016. Finally the next day, 8 days after I started it the S.G. was 1.004 and ready to rack. That Barolo I started back in Dec. went from 1.085 to 1.001 in 5 days. Later. Mike

The cold weather throughout the country is slowing down fermentations. Just be patient and rack as soon as the S.G. hits the target.

Yes I agree , I have to quit for awhile until it warms up. It is just
too cold in my basement and I hate doing stuff that just shouldnt be
done. Warmer weather will prevail soon enough so until then Ill just
bulk age what I have going and rack the sparkling wine which I had to
yse 2 brew belts to get that kit finished. Cant wait till warmer
weather again.
smiley6.gif

My basement is heated, but the wine room has a register I keep closed. I checked the temp today and it's 55 degrees! It's 14 deg outside, so that is pretty good. I don't have anything fermenting right now.

WHAT !!!! Nothing fermenting !!!! Come on pk......Tell me it ain't so.
smiley36.gif

i WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST ASKING FOR ADVICE WITH THIS SLOW FREMENTING THING.((oops caps)) I even pitched a secon starter bottle yesteday and it still is going slow. I have been goingnuts trying to think of what i must have done wrong. OK So ill wait a bit. Temp in mobile home is 68.. Last weekend it was lower because we were changing gas companies and i was chizzeling on the gas to empty the old tank.

Northern,

Please do not post anything from E.C. Kraus on this forum. Kraus feels their information is copyrighted and is not usuable by other home wine making stores without paying them a fee. Even though this part of the web site is a public forum, I do not want to get another bill from them for $650.00.

As an aside, I have never had this problem with any other home wine making store. Thank you for your understanding.

George...what am I missing? I don't see Northern's comments on
this thread. Which post are you talking about. I only ask
because I don't want to post something that will get you a bill either.

The post was deleted and I have just finished going through all previous posts and deleting any material that was taken directly from their site.

If you see your post was edited by me this was the reason.

Sorry about that...It came on a newsletter to my Email not from their web site, [tho it might bethere also]maybe they should take me off their list.

No harm was intended...I thought it was good information for the members who are having a hard time with slow fermentations due to cold temperatures....Once again...sorry and it won't happen again.

Northern,

Sorry if I came accross wrong. I think what you did was noble and all your were attempting to do is share knowledge, which is the purpose behind this forum. Ifthe contenthad come from any other site, I would not have been concerned. You had no idea as to what their policy was and I am just paranoid!
smiley5.gif

Please keep posting what you feel is appropriate. The moderators are here for a purpose. If we find something like this that needs to be removed, we will take care of it. Your input has been invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
smiley32.gif

Another $650.0 bill, that means, wow how ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot imagine why they would be thregtened. This is just the nicest, best and most informed forum anywere on the net. Thanks for all your help.MY SG tonight was 1.000 so I am currently racking... and speaking of which, I stink at siphoning. I can never get a good flow going and it always takes forever. Is there a trick to this ... or a gadget I should get in my next order to make this go faster.

Here is Northern Wino's post, I have used this cap also, and it does workvery well:

We always use the orange plastic cap and love it...It never fails..just blow in the short tube and it's going..

orange.jpg

We have had a few frustrating tries with the Auto-Siphon and once we got plastic cap never tried the Auto-Siphon again.

Our racking cane has a black stopper on the bottom that keeps it off the bottom a little bit...I usually push the orange stopper to a higher position on the racking cane....put the cane to the bottom of the carboy, then pull the orange topper down to lip of the carboy and snug it on...You will suck up a bit of sediment if it is deep...We rack again and again until the wine is clear.

I hope someday someone will make a plastic topper for a gallon jug, sure would save alot of mouth sucking-siphoning, racking cane size, clothes pins, clamps and other issues....

I hope someone gives reviews on the Auto-Siphon that George sells that fits a gallon jug.

I like the sounds of the turkey baster starting method and will try it soon.

Gallon Jug-Wine Making is new to me and hope the siphoning goes well..if not I'll just pour, wait and pour again till it's clear.

I cannot think how anyone could have trouble getting a auto siphon going, put it into the carboy, pump it a couple times, it's going. Maybe you had a defective one?
Dave

I am not sure what I have is an auto siphon but I tryied pumping and could not get a flow going. I had no directions so maybe I am doing something wrong or do not have the right thing. What I have is a racking cane and a long piece of vinyl rubberytubing. At the end of the tubing is a hard plastic tube about 12 inches long that has a valve at the bottom similar to what is at the end of the wine thief, a pin that when compressed lets fluid out but when is lifted off the bottom of the bottle no fluid will flow. I ended up removing thishard tube and sucking and getting agood flow going. Thanks for your help

You do not have an Auto-Siphon...you have a racking cane,tubing and bottle filler.
This is an Auto-Siphon:
20070209_061603_LAutoSiph.jpg

Latest posts

Back