Slow Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJayman

Reaction score
Although, I cringe at adding a thread on slow fermentation, this situation is a little unique and combines a couple factors/situations.

The wine- CC Reserve California Chardonnay. I kicked this one and a CCRC Pinot Grigio off at the same time to fortify "summer quaffer" supplies. The Sterling line is a 12L as I recall.

PG is rocking. CC Chard has been almost beligerent, and a very slow, almost stopped fermentation. Never saw the air lock burp or even float. Bubbles much, much less than any other experience and today don't recall any bubbles now prior to stirring. Temps had been fine in mid 70's. In order to maybe kickstart it have stirred it about 3 times the past week. SG to start was 1.090 and today is about .998-1.0. Kit started on 3/22.

The only other bit of information was I boiled both bentonite amounts together, and dispensed half in PG and remainder, (including some solids) in the chard. I don't have yeast activator, (but George and Joseph are sending next week.)

Any other thoughts/experiences such as this, or avenues to pursue?

.998 means its basically done so you arent going to see many bubbles, just a tiny bit from your wine letting off gas. Sometimes a packet of yeast will produce billions and billions of cells while another will only produce 1 billion.

Maybe your airlock wasn't sealed properly? At any rate, I would rack that to secondary ASAP.

Well, actually the airlock was fine. I am moving this one over with an almost fingers-crossed attitude. This has been quite out of the ordinary. It took 12 days under ideal conditions just to get here. I have heard more than once chardonnays are a little odd sometimes, so hope that is the case.

One other interesting aspect. When thiefing to check SG there seemed to be a layering going on. By that, when theif was inserted maybe 3" wine was generally clearer. The one time I went a little deeper than that (and no, didn't hit the bottom or come close, seemed to pull up some cloudier wine. It's kind of odd,.... guess we'll see what happens.

Thats how some wines clear especially when using a particular fining agent like siligel and or liquigel like what comes with Mosti Mondiale kits, Ive seen this a few times other then with those kits.

Alright, the update, for prosperity and anyone with a similar issue....

Racked chardonnay over to secondary. Now, amazingly, it is proudcing a lot of bubbles. (Not foaming, just nice effervesence.) So no longer an issue.

My only theory being, maybe through the racking process it did a better job than the stirring done in the primary, to kick start fermentation.

thanks all and keep the faith...

interesting mate- i have these exact two kits which i started about a week ago. i can't really comment on the chardy being slow as i used a specialty yeast and i have been fermenting at low temperature (17c) for this particular yeast and the white wine. it has been fermenting along fine but not roaringly.

i think if your SG has dropped you are fine- let me know how they taste!

g

oh, also, your racking to secondary did not start fermentation up again- it just agitated the wine and caused dissolved co2 to come out of solution making bubbles.

if the SG is down around .996 there is basically no sugar left and fermentation has finished (even if it didn't seem that impressive at the time!)

did you put the oak chips in your chardy?

g

Actually, it was still 'going' in secondary and wasn't an offgassing... I have since cleared and bottled.

Still young, but tasting lovely. Wish I had added a little glycerol to both to add mouthfeel/texture.

I withheld the oak. IMHO way too many california chards are overoaked and I gravitate to those from CA/WA with little or no oaking. Just a matter of taste but this came out splendidly. The yakima would have been better, but for the price and it being a CC kit, can't beat it.

Back