Slow bubbling not clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandelion

Junior
Reaction score
I've made elderflower wine quite successfully for a few years now (also dandelion and rhubarb successfully and on one occasion only rose wine which was absolutely horrible). Fermentation has never been a problem - the wine has bubbled away like mad for a week or two, then somewhat slower for a couple more weeks, until the wine has been nearly clear, then really slow and then stopped bubbling and I've racked it. This time something has gone wrong. I started the wine in a bucket, left the must for 5 days, then put into a demi-john with yeast and airlock (all as usual). It bubbled well for 2 weeks but has now (almost) ground to a halt. It does not bubble in the mornings and only starts up in the afternoon- really slowly - but the wine is no way near clear yet. What have I done wrong? We've had fairly hot weather so it's not due to cold. The recipe I followed was as always. Utensils sterilised as always. Any ideas out there?

You need to see what the specific gravity is. If its thru fermenting or not. If not it's probably struggling with no more O2 for the yeast.

If it is thru fermenting then its probably self degassing. More with warmer temps than cool overnight.

If done rack off sediment and clear.

The order in which you are doing things seems maybe a little different. Can you please provide us with the recipe and instructions you are following? That way we can better understand and maybe help?

Hi there,
Thanks for both answers.
The reading I got with the hydrometer was 1.000, so I guess ready as a medium sweet wine. I was aiming for a dry wine. I suppose I could rack it off now. However, as I wrote the liquid is still very opaque (pale yellow, rather than the strong amber it started with) and would need a lot of sediment settling before I can rack it further and bottle it. Usually it has at least started to clear by the first racking.
My recipe is:
568ml (1 pint) elderflower florets
1 kg (just over 2 pounds) sugar
4.56 litres (1 gallon) water
1 lemon
25g root ginger

Thanks!

Sorry, I forgot the instructions:
Put florets together with sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice and bruised ginger into a bucket. Pour over the boiled water. Leave covered to stand for 5 days. Then strain the liquid into a clean demi-john, sprinkle the yeast on, leave to stand a bit, fit the airlock. Wait until all bubbling has stopped. Rack into a clean demi-john. Leave to ripen for a few months. Rack into bottles, label. That's more or less it. I've not really bothered with being too scientific and only once got a wine that was a bit too sweet. Otherwise the result is generally a clear, dry, entirely drinkable wine.

If you will degas the wine through manually stirring it or using vacuum or "sheet racking" it, you will find that the degassed wine clears a lot easier and better.

Transfer to a clean vessel and then degas.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your answer - could you clarify vacuum or "sheet racking"?

My wine is actually stirring a bit more again, possibly because oxygen got in when I removed the airlock to take a sample for hydrometer testing?

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your answer - could you clarify vacuum or "sheet racking"?

My wine is actually stirring a bit more again, possibly because oxygen got in when I removed the airlock to take a sample for hydrometer testing?

My understanding is that when you add the yeast just cover with a damp towel. The airlock will be depriving the yeast of oxygen.

Sheet racking is when you put the end of the hose/tubing against the top inside of the carboy and let the must travel in a "sheet" down the side. The thin layer of liquid releases more co2. With smaller carboys (gallon jug mainly) its easier to use the inside of the opening rather than further in against the wall.

Thanks beardy,
That clarifies it!

About the airlock and yeast. Some of my recipes say to put the yeast into the bucket, others to add it at the stage when you strain away the vegetation bits and put tre must into a demi-john. I usually give the yeast a little time before I add the airlock. So far this has been no problem. Either way works.

Thanks for all your replies. My wine seems to have revived just by opening to check the specific gravity. Probably the movement and oxygen involved? I'll now let it "die down" and then rack it away into a clean demi-john to ripen before racking into individual bottles, as the hydrometer reading I got indicated that the wine had reached an acceptable level.
I've started a next batch (using same recipe) with the last of the elderflower we get at this time of the year in England (actually it's very late this year because it was cold for much of the year so far).

Hi
Sorry to interrupt but I was just reading this and think I have made my elderflower wine wrong now.
I put the yeast in once the water had cooled to 21 , at this time I added the tea also
Have I put the yeast in at the wrong time??
Hope not :(

Latest posts

Back