Skeeter Pee Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy419

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading for a while, but this is my first post. Thanks for all of things I've learned already. I am completely new to this - I have a WE Chilean Merlot that is clearing, (1st batch ever) and then I jumped right into SP which is nearing the end of secondary fermentation (SG was .996 a few days ago) -- hence my question. According to the recipe (quoted below) you should rack THEN degas and clear. When I did the Merlot, the instructions said that you should NOT RACK before degas and clearing -- in fact doing so, could prevent proper clearing (the lees needed to be mixed back in to get proper clearing).

"Allow the Pee to ferment dry and for fermentation to stop. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy. Give the batch a quick degas (use agitation and vacuum if you have the equipment). Add ¼ tsp Kmeta, 2 ½ tsp sorbate, and sparkolliod (follow directions on the package). After two weeks, the Skeeter Pee should be crystal clear."

Should I rack off of the lees before degasing or just mix everything up in the carboy it's in now?

THANKS,

Andy

P.S. Tom, I live in NY now, but grew up in Edgewater Park, NJ; on the river side of where Warren St/Beverly Road goes under the railroad tracks.

Last edited:
Andy, welcome to our forum. You should almost always follow the recipe for the wine you are making. Kit wines follow different rules then wines made from scratch. So to answer your question, yes rack, stabelize and then clear. Good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to ask questions any time.

for further clarification, some kits have you rack and then clear adn others like Wine Expert have you clear before racking....I kinda like that method....the Lees are used to help clear out the smaller particles. It seems odd doing this but does seem to work quite well.

That being said, when I cleared my SP I did it before racking. The whole thing turned into a snow globe but everything fell out within a couple of days.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, but when in doubt follow the recipe as it's usually the best method.

Welome to the forum.

Latest posts

Back