Skeeter Pee Bummer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojabri

Frequent Lurker
Reaction score
I was gonna back sweeten my 1st batch of Skeeter Pee today, but when I pulled off the airlock it had a vinegar smell. I took a sample and it doesn't taste of vinegar, but there is definitely a smell.

Should I chuck it out or is there anything I might be able to do to salvage it? I suppose if nothing else I could use it for vinaigrette dressing or as a household cleaner. I can only assume lemon vinegar would make a good cleaner.

I never had this happen to me p, so my suggestion is strictly what I would no. I would pitch it! Sorry but I am so terrified of my wine area being contaminated because of vinegar.

I don't think you should take any chances. You should find a way to biologically neutralize those microbes immediately. I have found that the acid in a human stomach, followed by filtering by the glomeruli found in kidneys and a liberal dose of alcohol dehydrogenase produced by human livers is sufficient to deal with these nasties. Proceed post haste and commence neutralization procedures immediately, preferably over a nice dinner, perhaps while viewing burning embers of a fire in a fireplace.

Eh, I decided to chock it up to a rookie mistake somewhere along the way. It did make one heck-acious cleaner though.

I tossed some in my dishwasher and it de-gunked it. Threw some in the toilets and scrubbed them thoroughly, tossed some in the washing machine to debrid the barrel, it's sparkly now, and put some down each of the sinks in the house, I'm sure those pipes are in much clearer shape.

Kind of a loss, but at least I got a use out of it. I suppose if I bricked a batch is was prolly best that this was the batch that flubbed up as it's stupid cheap.

Latest posts

Back