Single vine trellis

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have one additional Marquette vine from planting my vineyard that I decided to plant on the rear foundation of my house. There is no room to set up a traditional trellis, and I dont want to spend any money on more equipment. I have some 8' long 3" dia round Doug fir posts i treated with thompsons water seal. I was going to grow the vine as sort of a TWC set up, with a horizontal post going across from the top of one upright post to the other, instead of wire. My concern is that the Doug fir posts might not last very long and start rotting over the years. Any suggestions???

Cool ideas. I guess what I am asking first and foremost is will the Doug fir posts last long enough, and if/when they need to be replaced, is that even possible without butchering the vine, since it will be wrapped around the post???

Not really sure what “long enough” is in years.........Vines live for decades, and longer, very few woods will stand that test of time. If you never want to change the post, try something with similar life expectancy, like an aluminum fence post, or electrical conduit, steel post or tube, or a solid steel section, something metal, and seal the top so it can’t fill with water and rust from the inside.

Not really sure what “long enough” is in years.........Vines live for decades, and longer, very few woods will stand that test of time. If you never want to change the post, try something with similar life expectancy, like an aluminum fence post, or electrical conduit, steel post or tube, or a solid steel section, something metal, and seal the top so it can’t fill with water and rust from the inside.
Yea good point. Because of the location, my wife wanted wood cause it looks nicer. Maybe I can use a steel chainlink post across the top of the two wood posts, since that wont be too visible once the vine covers it. Thanks!

I would use a steel post, make a hollow wood box to slip over the top. Treat it with anything but Thompson’s ( it’s a poopy product, they spend tons on advertising so everyone knows them ). By the time the wood rots, the steel pipe will have a rusted patina your wife will love. ymmv.

Last edited:
I use a steel post, make a hollow wood box to slip over the top. Treat it with anything but Thompson’s ( it’s a poopy product, they spend tons on advertising so everyone knows them ). By the time the wood rots, the steel pipe will have a rusted patina your wife will love. ymmv.
Great idea!!

My concern is that the Doug fir posts might not last very long and start rotting over the years. Any suggestions???

Do you mean if you stick it into the ground (don't -- use a metal post holder)? Or just the areal parts? If the later, then just train the vine so it does not need the post for full support by the time the posts degrades to dust. That is, more a head training or vertical cordon, and don't twine the vine around the post unless you are willing to buy a post that will last (which I think you don't want to do -- which I understand -- use what you got and adapt, not just buy more things to fit an ideal).

Any wood is going to rot before the vine dies, especially if it’s not wolmanized and just painted wood. For my back yard vineyard end-posts I used treated 8’ landscape timbers. You have to root through the pile at Home Depot for straight ones, but they’re like $4.50 a piece and will last longer than regular wood posts that are painted. I’m still going to paint them and add anchors once my vines get heavy but they work for my short, 25’ rows and are cheap.

Or you could try the aluminum conduit method mentioned above. By a pipe dye, some lock tight, and some couplers, and you have infinite possibilities there.

No matter what you decide, I wouldn’t trust untreated fir posts to structurally last long, even if you kept up with painting it. The exception would be if you lived somewhere with little rain or humidity. Here in PA untreated wood rots in a few years, even with Thompson’s or whatever on it.

Do you mean if you stick it into the ground (don't -- use a metal post holder)? Or just the areal parts? If the later, then just train the vine so it does not need the post for full support by the time the posts degrades to dust. That is, more a head training or vertical cordon, and don't twine the vine around the post unless you are willing to buy a post that will last (which I think you don't want to do -- which I understand -- use what you got and adapt, not just buy more things to fit an ideal).
I decided to just use galvanized chain link posts. I plan to use the horizontal post as a trellis wire and wrap the vine around it. Thanks!

Back