simple syrup question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I made simple syrup by adding 4 and a half cups of sugar and 4 and a half cups of water. I need 2 cups of sugar to raise my sg to what I want. Do I now add 4 cups of the simple syrup?

What volume did you get when you put the two together? If I combine 4 cups of sugar with 4 cups of water, I usually get close to 4 cups of the syrup (maybe it varies by sugar type but I doubt it). If that is your case add two cups of syrup. Check your SG and see how close you are. If anything it might not be quite as high as you want if you had gotten 5 cups by combining them.

1) Measure your current SG
2) Pour in 2 cups Simple Syrup
3) Stir well, and let sit 8 hours (give time for sugar to dissolve and disperse)
4) Stir well again, and measure SG
5) Use the Change in SG (and that you added 2 cups of Simple Syrup) to estimate how much more Simple Syrup you will need to add.

Or, like Grapeman said:

Current volume * 2 cups / 4.5 cups = desired simple syrup volume

According to Fermcalc, you should have wound up with about 6.8 cups. As the Riches say, you would add 2/4.5*6.8 = 3 cups. This should bring you to just under your target SG. (Under, because you have increased the volume of water as well as the sugar content.)

Latest posts

Back