Simple blending trials - What fun!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
I thought his would be less fun. I don't know why - perhaps if I were more serious and structured it could have been less fun.

I've ordered my first batch of pressed grapes from a local winery. Being that I can't just order one, when I ordered a bucket of Sauv Blanc for the missus, I felt that I needed to order a red for myself.

Baco Noir is one of those grapes I can get locally easily (and cheaply) and simply aren't available as a kit.

... And then I got it into my head that I absolutely must blend it with Syrah.
I'd never mixed wines before.

So I purchased a (commercial) bottle of both and started pouring.
The first glass was ~75% Baco and tasted like Baco with an odd cherry (Syrah) top note.
The second glass was ~50% Baco and felt like a much more cohesive blend
The third glass was ~75 Syrah and, truth be told by the third glass, I really thought it was brilliant. The base Syrah for flavor and the longer, lingering, flavor of the Baco to back it up.

I'd have gone for a fourth glass but I figured that i'd consumed enough alcohol that my tastes "may" be tainted. :dg
I'll re-test the 75/25 today followed by the 50/50 - but, this time, in smaller quantities.

Maybe it's the, apparent, success I had here with a simple blend but I felt really good about this and very much empowered to do it again. It's not the black art I thought it was... just following 'what makes sense' to my tastes.

Heck, that is all the fun! I do it in 10% increments, but taste don't drink:ib. By the end of an hour of that my wife and I are all smiles.

Hmmm.... The blend improved with every pour. Coincidence or generous pours? If you revisit it, try doing your tastings blind.

I'll be honest: they were generous pours. I think that's what made it fun.
The missus dislikes both Baco & Syrah (and most dark reds) so I was on my own.

Last night's repeat of the experiment were far more "taste" size than glasses of wine.

I stand behind the 75% Syrah / 25% Baco blend that really rounded out the Syrah. I thought it a much better pair than the Cab/Baco blends I see locally at the liquor store.

It got even better when I topped up my glass with the winning mix and grabbed a peperette stick as a snack to go with it.

Latest posts

Back