Cellar Craft Showcase Reds - Primary Size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat50496

Reaction score
I have two of the Cellar Craft/Vineco KenRidge showcase reds on order from George. I have the standard 7.9 gallon primary fermentors, and am wondering if I need a larger primary for these kits since they have the 2.6L "super pack". Just want to know if I have to get a bigger primary for these to avoid making a mess. If I do need a larger primary, what would you suggest? Thanks

I've done a few of the Showcase kits with the 2.0L pack and have had sufficient room in my 7.9L primary. I have one of the LR kits ordered as well and wasn't planning on needing additional space.

I have used the 7.9G Primary for years without incident even with the super packs. Its the smallest size you can safely use with a super pack for sure. Watch your temps especially at the beginning so it doesn't go crazy (foaming up) and fermenting out in 3 days or anything and you should be just fine.

Keith, I am sure you are talking about separate fermentation for the two kits, but have you considered co-fermentation in a larger vessel? If so, I would ge a 20 gallon fermenter. I think there are some advantages to co-fermentation. I have done three kits and three buckets in my 20 gallon fermenter and it works fine. Just a thought.

Keith, I am sure you are talking about separate fermentation for the two kits, but have you considered co-fermentation in a larger vessel? If so, I would ge a 20 gallon fermenter. I think there are some advantages to co-fermentation. I have done three kits and three buckets in my 20 gallon fermenter and it works fine. Just a thought.

Rocky, I would like to start making fewer batches of larger quantities each year, but I'm still trying to figure out which brands and types I would choose to make. I have several different brands of similar style wines just coming into rotation (i.e. Cellar Craft Showcase Chateau du Pays and RJS Winery Series French Grenach Syrah) to see which I would prefer to make in larger quantities. I am doing the same with a few Italian styles as well as different size kits. Just takes some time to get them to the point of being able to make fair comparisons. Once I know which ones I and my family truly enjoy, I look forward to making fewer batches of larger quantities and having more consistent product. And then just doing small batches of limited editions each year for some variety.

It's amazing that several higher prices kits just don't deliver on expectations, and also that a few lower end kits really do prove to be family favorites - but that's a topic for another post!

Thanks all, for now I'll stick with my current primary buckets and look forward to my first limited edition kits.

Latest posts

Back