Cellar Craft Showcase LE Grenache Quartet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveM

Reaction score
Hi all,

I racked this kit about 10 days ago from the primary to the secondary, and it is just about ready to start the clearing process. I just realized, though, that I forgot to add the enzyme pack after I racked to secondary. So I'm wondering what plan of action I should take.

Should I just rack it off the sediment when it is done fermenting then add the enzyme pack? If so, how long should I wait before starting the clearing process? Would it be okay just to add the enzyme pack after racking and start clearing right away?

Do you have a white ring around the top? If you don't you don't have to worry about adding the enzyme. If you do, then add the enzyme and wait a week to ten days then start the fining process.

Yeah, I do have a small white ring around the top. It's about 1 mm wide. So I should not rack now and just add the enzyme , wait 7-10 days, then rack later once it's had time to settle out again?

As long as you have racked off the gross lees you can add the enzyme. Bentonite in the gross lees will inactivate the enzyme. You can add the enzyme and stabilize and fine all at the same time when the wine has fermented to dry in secondary. It won't hurt to add the enzyme now and wait a few days then fine and stabilize either.

Just be sure to stir that enzyme in very, very well.

In the very remote possibility that the enzyme doesn't work at this stage (I believe it will work, if stirred in well), let us know.

Latest posts

Back