Shout Out for Waterless Airlocks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where can I get those around here in Nova Scotia. I am from the valley area.

don't know if anyone around here sells them. the first batch I ordered, they actually shipped them to me from Ottawa when they were visiting the area over the holidays. How is that for service?

another option is if you know someone that will be travelling to the states for a few days. you can get them sent to their hotel for pickup when they arrive. its done all the time. of course they have to have a reservation and be sure to add that and check in date when shipping

cheers

I have family in Canada. I ship them stuff all the time. I shipped my Brother in law 500 empty 20 gauge shotgun shells recently. It was no trouble at all and shipping was not excessive.

I bough a whole bunch of these because I always have 15 to 25 carboys degasing, or bulk aging and though it would be great not to have to monitor Fluid level in the air lock. Although they in principal seem as though they are dandy, I had some concerns, the flapper on the top of the bung seems to hold a fairly high resistance. so I ran some teat with a tester I made from a automobile radiator pressure tester. a water filled airlock lets off at around 4 ounces of pressure depending in the amount of H2o in it. These bungs actually took 3 to 5 pounds to let off, meaning they would hold CO2 in solution, It would be my assentation that they would not be ideally suitable for use when off gassing wine or mead. Does anyone have any information or experience to the contrary?

I was told not to use them in primary fermentation what so ever. And as Tenbears has said that must be correct. I just use them to bulk age!!

i wouldn't use any airlock for primary fermentation. in the secondary is another matter. i also only use mine for bulk aging

cheers

These bungs actually took 3 to 5 pounds to let off, meaning they would hold CO2 in solution

Considering that beer is carbonated to 11 psi CO2, that seems pretty high pressure for the vent to hold in. In any case, your comment presumes stable air pressure. The normal variation between high and low pressure in weather is 1 to 2 psi. That variation in air pressure will help pull air through the vent plug.

Back